IGNORED

GPS Question/Help

Guest Dandy1

I'm looking to get a GPS for the RSV. Can anyone help me out? What brand, do I need color, do I need one that talks to me and if I do will it hook up the the speakers on intercom on the bike? I'd like to keep it under $300 if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest sargeb13

Well, I think color is quite nice on a GPS, but not absolutely necessary by any means. I don't think I've ever seen a non-color GPS with a screen large enough for me to use on a moving motorcycle (there may be such a unit, but I sure havn't seen it). My old eyes need at least a 2", 2.5" diagonal screen (in the event, I have a unit with over 3" diagonal). I've seen a few folks mount smaller hand held GPS on a motorcycle, and power it by battery, but that would not be a solution I could live with. Screen's too small, battery replacement is a hassle and expensive, and no audible alerts. Also, I don't think the small units have the full data bases of restaurants, gas stations, motels and stuff that make the GPS such a valuable tool for me? If you want turn by turn directions, I think you'd have to integrate an audio function into the system in some manner: I don't think it would be safe to try to look at a gps for turn by turn directions on a moving motorcycle? Without an integration unit, the GPS "talks" while the music is on or the intercom/passenger is talking, and is of little use, I'd imagine.

GPS is a great addition to a touring bike; but, I think it would be hard to get a good setup for under $300. I did a quick check at getfeetwet, and the best deal there right now looked to be a Garmin 2610, refurbished, for about $300; BUT, you would still need a mount and cable (power and a hook up to the audio system). Garmin 2610 is a very capable unit, but needs a sunscreen in direct sunlight. I don't think the 2610 is waterproof, so you'd need a cover or remove the whold unit in the rain.

If you want to integrate the GPS into the audio system (to override music, cb, intercom for example) then you'd need another package like a Kennedy unit, a J&M integration kit, or an autocom. Any of these solutions is going to cost $150 to $450, depending.

I'd say, skip the attempt at $300 and save up for a more capable, fully integrated unit: in the end, you'll be happier. Just my 2-cents.