IGNORED

83 Venture questions..

I am considering a trade for an 83 Venture with about 24,000 mi. and would like to know if there are any particular things I should look for?

I have read the 1st generation known problems posts. I see it mentions early and later problems. Is there a serial number range to know what is early or later production 1st gen. ?

I will have maybe 1500 trade value into the bike and from the prices I see if it has no major problems it should be a good deal.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nice site you all have here. I did not realize the Venture had such a "cult" following. I guess if I get the bike I might feel as exclusive as when I had old Triumphs and Nortons. :crackup:

2nd gear failure is not a if but a when. it will blow out 2nd gear, and unless you are able to fix it yourself it will cost over $2000.00 to have fixed. To check test ride the bike, and get on it full throttle in 2nd from a slow speed. Really stress that gear hard. if you feel what feels like a slipping clutch, the gear is already going bad. Mine lasted to 50,000 miles before it is becoming useless to use 2nd. the more it is used, the faster it deteriorates. All 83's and 84's will have the 2nd gear failure.

Some 83's have had frame tearing near the rear shock that can cause dangerous failure if it happens on a curve or at highway speed. This does not seem to be a guaranteed to happen problem. Mine shows zero damage in that area, I inspect it 2 times a year.

The bike is great, I love my 83. But it's not a bike to be owned by someone that is afraid of tearing apart a bike or fixing it themselves.

The bikes can be quirky, they need TLC regularly, they are reliable as all get out if you treat them right, But any bike that is over 25 years old will need this as well.