IGNORED

Busted side case

Numb Knuckles

The shifter bracket portion (lower rear corner) on my 86 left side case broke off leaving the linkage dangling. Anyone know if these can be welded? Is it alum. or magnesium? Or is there a source to by this piece.

Thanks, Gary

Sorry Do not have the answer for you, but thought it was Aluminum ?

Curious do you have a Heal toe shifter ? As this seems to be the cause of this type of failure.

Brad

The inside of my oil filter cover is embossed "magnesium", thus the material question.

Gary

The heal toe shifter is not standard on 1st gens. And the problem you describe is a known issue because of the heal toe on those bikes. I cannot answer the original question though. Maybe check ebay to see if there is a part to replace it.

50% right or should I said 50% wrong. Oh well I thought it was a problem with the heal toe shifter.

BEst of luck finding the repair.

Brad

Numb Knuckles,

I don't think anyone answered your first question but the case is aluminum and can be welded. A good welder may be able to strenghten it to prevent future breakage but It may be cheaper to just buy a replacement.

I'm not sure why the oil filter cover is magnesium but it may need the extra strength/rigidity since its only bolted in the middle.:080402gudl_prv:

• 2 weeks later...