IGNORED

how's the bike situtation randy

hairman

Hey Tim, I took a look at it today and with the instructions Frog Man has in the tech section, I am not seeing that I have a bad TCI, yet. I do have elevated resistance on the inhibitor wire that goes from the TCI to the various switches and relays. This is a test you do with the unit powered up and the ignition on. Also, in that mode, if I have it in gear and put the side stand down, the resistance does not change. Or, if I flip the kill switch, the resistance does not change.

Gerald (Frog Man) returned my call and we went over it some and he told me to pull the inhibitor wire out of the connector and see if it will start. That is on my agenda tomorrow after work. I am still of the opinion that somewhere in that circuit I have a problem.

Thanks for checking on me.

RandyA

Randy good luck. If you pull the inhibit line and the scoot runs then your problems are minor. It means either your emergency kill switch is corroded/bad or the kick stand relay contacts are corroded or being energized by a failure on one of the controlling inputs (kickstand switch,clutch switch,or diode circuits).

If your scoot still won't start and you have switched12 volts to the TCI then I would check the pickup coil connector down along the frame behind your gear shifter before suspecting the TCI.

Remember you can ride your scoot with the inhibit line pulled just be conscious your safety interlock circuits are bypassed.

Here is a diagram for you.

Edited by FROG MAN

Thanks Gerald.

What I am hoping to do with this is to not only fix my problem, but come up with a basic checklist that the 1st genners (and maybe 2nd) can print out and keep on their bikes. I suspect that many, like me, carry an ohm meter with them and if they had at least some idea what to check, or bypass or even disconnect to help them get home, I believe it would be a valuable tool.

In the 13 years and over 100,000 miles since I have had my bike, I don't remember any time I have enjoyed riding more than lately as it has been running so good. I just want to be able to have a little more trust in it than I have now. This is the first time it has ever stranded me.

RandyA

Thanks Gerald.

What I am hoping to do with this is to not only fix my problem, but come up with a basic checklist that the 1st genners (and maybe 2nd) can print out and keep on their bikes. I suspect that many, like me, carry an ohm meter with them and if they had at least some idea what to check, or bypass or even disconnect to help them get home, I believe it would be a valuable tool.

In the 13 years and over 100,000 miles since I have had my bike, I don't remember any time I have enjoyed riding more than lately as it has been running so good. I just want to be able to have a little more trust in it than I have now. This is the first time it has ever stranded me.

RandyA

They usually go don't they Randy? The old "Blue Beast" never left me sitting in close to 60k. Had 98,700 when she went down. The closest was at Skid's(at least I wouldn't have been stuck out on the road) Starter made some noises that just shouldn't be coming from there. But she kicked over and I went home and put a E-Bay starter on her and when I lost her she was purring like a Lion!! I'll stop making noise. I'm like Carl leg keeping me from doing anything but sitting and then I eat at Rally's.Vogel getting in danger if things don't get better... Did I say That??

I got the bike running good again and it appears it was the tilt over switch coming out of the holder and hanging down.

As soon as I get a clearification on something from Frog Man, I am going to post an emergency checklist on electrical so if you have a problem with one of the things in the inhibit circuit, such as the side stand switch, kill switch or tilt switch, you can disconnect and go on your way.

RandyA

Something to be aware of. There is a threshold point on that inhibit line where the resistance from dirty connections may cause a erratic TCI operation. My 84 would only run on three cylinders some of the time.Dirty connections was causing the inhibit line to partially kill the ignition system.The contacts on my tilt switch were dirty and it was dislodged from its cradle and dangling. Probably from a previous owner dropping the bike. If your scoot is intermittent often hit and miss on two or three cylinders try pulling the inhibit line and see if it clears up. Those switches must be clean enough to pass sufficient current for a hard closure of the side stand relay. Weak current flowing through the relay coil wil cause a weak contact closure on it's output. All these little things can add up to a TCI lacking a good enough ground to kill the ignition in the activated state. I wonder how many first gens have been sold over owner frustration from ignition problems and the fix may only cost a $0.25.

I wonder how many first gens have been sold over owner frustration from ignition problems and the fix may only cost a $0.25.

Gerald, I have wondered the very same thing.

In the last couple of days I have even considered putting a switch in the inhibitor line in case I have another problem with one of the switches. It would be so easy just to flip the switch and see if the bike runs better. I just hate to have another contact point in that line.

This would be similar to the switch the 2nd genners are doing around the ignition switch problem they are having.

RandyA