IGNORED

bub sleeper tips ??

Guest bigbama

Is it the tip or the flaking chrome? If it is the flaking chrome, remove the muffler, sand it well, and paint it blsck. This looks great and is a cheap fix. I used fish oil based paint in a satin black finish. You will like the results.

:farmer:

Guest bigbama

No i was just wanting to change tips would like to have turn out/down, modified my baffles, and none of my riding buddy's will ride behind me.Thought turn downs might help.

No i was just wanting to change tips would like to have turn out/down, modified my baffles, and none of my riding buddy's will ride behind me.Thought turn downs might help.

You could just re-wrap the baffles if you just want it quieter. I bought packing material on ebay for cheap $$$. They originally had little or no packing.

Guest bigbama

Well I like the way it sounds. Thought I could deflect the sound down or out to the side to make it easier on the riders behind me. I cut 8 inches off the baffles and welded it back together sounds great.

• 3 years later...

I have BUB Sleeper's on my 07 RSTD. I have had them on for 17 months. I noticed in June that the tip's are flaking. I just called BUB and they sell new tips and baffles for $100.00. I think when I get home next June I may remove the mufflers and sand and paint the tips Black.

Jim

Edited by guns_usn_20
I can't spell

I had a set on my '04 and the tips were crap, they all peel after some time. Bub's warranted the first set and said they had stopped chroming them, just polishing the billet, but apparently they did'nt as the second set did the same thing. They do sound good though, especially with no packing. About the only thing to do if you want to change the style of tips is to get a measurment of the O.D. of the tip where it slips into the muffler body and start checking around for something that will fit. If I remember correctly the muffler body is 3" O.D., which would be about 2-7/8" for the tip to slip into it. Let us know what you find out.

:080402gudl_prv:

I had a set on my '04 and the tips were crap, they all peel after some time. Bub's warranted the first set and said they had stopped chroming them, just polishing the billet, but apparently they did'nt as the second set did the same thing. They do sound good though, especially with no packing. About the only thing to do if you want to change the style of tips is to get a measurment of the O.D. of the tip where it slips into the muffler body and start checking around for something that will fit. If I remember correctly the muffler body is 3" O.D., which would be about 2-7/8" for the tip to slip into it. Let us know what you find out.

:080402gudl_prv:

I don't know why Bubb doesn't bite the bullet, polish the dang aluminum tips, and shoot them with high temp clear. That's what I did when rebuilding mine as I just didn't care for the black tips... They now look like new...

Yeah, that's exactly what my tips looked like, started getting a "chalky" look to them after the chrome peeled. They do look good after polishing them out. Does that clear hold up pretty well? After the second set blistered I was so over them, that's when I decided to go with the punched-out H/D touring mufflers. In fact, I just bought another set about an hour ago, they've been drilled but not hole-sawed. Nary a scratch on them, and I picked them up for $40.00!! I really like the looks of the H/D's, they are 4" in dia. and really fill out the space under the bags, and they're just a tad longer too. Now I've gotta do a search on here to find the clamps I used before, I think they were V-Twin, and find the spec's for the muffler brackets.