IGNORED

help with lighting problem

jrcain32

I am in the process of changing all my blinker to clear linses and new amber bulbs and I can't get the old bulbs out. The first one twisted off in my hand leaving the base in the socket. I am assuming I have to push the bulb in and turn counterclockwise like the manual states. Mine is '99 RSV and I doubt the bulbs have ever been changed.

I have never seen a socket quite like this one. It has a metal strip across the base. Should I remove that strip before trying to remove the bulb? I tried this but when I rotated the bulb the whole socket moved. Someone please set me straight on this. I have one rear bulb broken and do not want to try another one until I am clear as what to do.

If the whole base is turning you are in a pickle...because it broke off the backing plate.

You should be able to use a pair of needle nose pliers and bend one edge of the brass base of the BULB inward where you can get ahold of it with the needle nose pliers.

From there you can push in and turn to your left to remove the bulb.

You can also spray WD-40 or some other lubricant in the socket to help aid the broken light bulb base out of the socket.

If the outer socket is turning all the way around, you most likely already busted the soldering on the rear side of the backing plate. You can resolder this if you do not break the backing plate. Just carefully remove the backing plate to see where the socket is broken and resolder it.

Guest seuadr

if you have trouble getting the broken base out, i bet you could get a pipe nipple about the right diameter for the bulb from your local hardware and thread it into the bulb base. would make it pretty easy to manipulate then. just make sure you get the blackpipe nipple and not a brass one, will cost around a dollar instead of 5+