IGNORED

Larossa Downturn Pipes.. wow

ooooooooooh, ever see two grown men giggling like little school children? A friend had sent me some Larossa downturn slippons to try on my RSV as he didn't need them anymore, these were brand new and they installed easily, replacing the screaming eagles I had on prior.

Wow.. these things are loud lol.. but not harsh on the ears (well not harsh to motorcycle enthusiatsts at least)

Just the flash up sound, idling and blipping of the throttle brought huge smiles to our faces hehe.. (still chuckling about it..)

I will one of the first to say I doubt I'd run with these on for long as I think that under full power they will be very very TOO loud.. And I'm not sure how they would react with the bike without any additional tweaking beyond my abilities..

However, I would ask if the learned and experienced minds here could help me out with some pre ride observations..

When I blip the throttle, there is a burbling noise not normally heard with the other pipes.. THIS would be akin to the sounds people hear making them want to remove the AIS. So I would assume that when I roll down the highway, and decellerate, I'm going to get a lot of blurbling.. Remembering Goose's sage words about not removing one's AIS for troubling purposes, I'll be leaving it on.. However, I'm just curious about the blurbling sounds..

Exhaust temp.. What caught us by surprise is the amount of air being pushed out of the ends and the lack of heat.. no kidding. When you look down the end of the pipe, you can see the glow of daylight through the other end at the downturn.. I would have assumed I'd feel more heat in the exhaust gasses. and the volume of air is less also. To compare, my buddy rolled out his RSV with stock pipes, and you could feel heat in his exhaust almost right away. Strange..

Now the next part I may know the answer anyway but the exhaust gases feel 'wet'.. but in no way what so ever smell like fuel, not even a little.. because these are downturns, they leave a wet spot on the pavement.. It's warm and humid here, so I'm assuming this is all normal..

Tonight, if it's not raining as normal, I'll be taking this out on the highway with my cameras to record the sounds.. if it's not that hard on the ears, I may leave them on for a while but man, I have the funny feeling they won't be there for too long hehe.. what a sound though.. nice!!

Wow, did a 100 mile run tonight with the Larossas on the bike and wow.. Yes, they are indeed loud but play differently than you would think at different speeds and revs. Not sure if it's just because of the noise but man it feels like there is a lot more giddyap and go to the bike now.. caught myself going through 75 mph in 3rd before I tossed it in 4th.. At highway speeds, 5th gear 75 mph the noise is tolerable.. in 4th gear same speed it's totally different..

I'll be doing sound and video recordings for the record tomorrow. After that, toss on the HD-RK mufflers on before the road trip into the USA..

w00t

Addemdum:

I went out on a 120 mile run on the bike with buddy today to do sound recordings and halfway through the trip the bike did a 'falter' and died but restarted.. doing 75 mph in 4th on a hot day.. returned home without incident. Not sure what happened, guessing perhaps the engine went into over heat protection?? No idea but it's gone.

Back home, removed the Larossas and re-installed the RK Screamin Eagles..

Thems I asked said the bike sounded "bad ass" but not obnoxiously loud.. real deep throaty sound with a good bark! at the twist of the throttle.. Unfortunately waaaaay too loud for me lol.

So the experiment ended early.

If I could figure out what caused the momentary shut down I'd feel better..

Cheers

Edited by Seaking

Have you considered that perhaps you hit the kill switch momentarily? Happens more than you think. Another item is the key switch. Mine went out and in for about a week before it died completely. You may want to go ahead and add the switch by pass just for protection. When the switch was going out I would just suddenly lose power and just as sudden it was back. Doesn't cost much to put in the bypass and it may keep you from walking home or calling roadside assistance.

Good luck with it.

my :2cents:

Have you considered that perhaps you hit the kill switch momentarily? Happens more than you think. Another item is the key switch. Mine went out and in for about a week before it died completely. You may want to go ahead and add the switch by pass just for protection. When the switch was going out I would just suddenly lose power and just as sudden it was back. Doesn't cost much to put in the bypass and it may keep you from walking home or calling roadside assistance.

Good luck with it.

my :2cents:

Hi.. Not sure what the switch by pass is about.. please do explain..

I am 100% certain I hadn't accidentally hit the kills switch like I did before causing an unexpected backfire lol.. I swapped out the pipes and put the Road King pipes back on, road over 200 miles this afternoon and no probs.. Just got to synch up the carbs is all now.

My ride buddy wishes I'd put them back on as he loves the sound of them lol..

strangely enough, I got impressive gas mileage when they were on the bike.. so strange! It should have guzzled gas but it was sipping gas.. so weird..

A small clip is located at the bottom of this page: http://www.myvstar.ca/waverley/

You'll notice the debris flying when the throttle is blipped.. ;)

If I get a happy warm feeling over as to why the engine shut down on the highway and can resolve it, I may put them back on as the sound is nice.. loud but nice.. =)

Deep throaty with a serious bark!

Cheers