IGNORED

Frtom RK to OEM slipons..

This week I tried to install new turn down pipes I busted one of the exhaust clamps and can't find them locally anywhere. I got these with the screamin eagle slippons I had been riding with since last year.. got the new down turns and busted one of the clamps.. SO back to the OEM slippons until I find a new clamp..

Riding yesterday with the OEMs on I was surprised at a few observations.. some good and some bad.. I was hoping someone could let me know what's the what here..

I'll have to say that the pipe clamp on the OEM slippons can't be tightened much because of the nuts on the bold isn't 'tack welded' on anymore, allowing the nut to free turn when attempting to tighten the clamp onto the pipe.. and this MAY perhaps be what is causing my issues.. but not sure..

My 06 RSV with the roadking slippons feels like it has more oomph over stock.. I have the K&N air filters installed. My friend's 08 RSV is stock and doesn't feel as gutsy as mine does everytime I ride his.. My RSV with RK slippons and K&N filters doesn't get the great milage his bike enjoys.. but it's got a better sound and better giddyap and go factor.

When I put the OEMs on, I found myself riding in 4th at 65 - 70 mph more readily, actually catching myself not realizing I'm actually in third wondering why my mirrors seem 'buzzy' until I try to shift into 5th but discovering I'm now in 4th.. I'm guessing is that I'm going by engine / exhaust noise and actually getting the revs way up there now..

But the pinch of the matter is that I am a bit concerned by the lack of power the bike is making when dropping the hammer, say like when you're on the on-ramp to a highway, merging into traffic.. you accelerate and the power curve seems to be hanging there.... and then it catches. I thought I might have been slipping the clutch until it worked itself out and caught.. strange sensation.. engine sounded normal.. but the sensation of acceleration felt quite hesitant.. I couldn't tell if I was actually accellerating or not as I was watching for traffic as I was merging on but the couple / three times this happened, it felt a lot like hang time waiting for the bike to 'catch' and accellerate..

I never had that with the roadking slippons installed.. when I dropped the hammer on the bike, I could bring it up to the rev limiter and you could feel it all accelerate evenly and smoothly.

I want to see if my mileage comes up with the OEMs back on the bike, I'll be able to know after a couple of tanks of gas..

I don't know if this is how the RSV is normally behaving when running with OEM slippons or if the lack of tightened clamps is causing enough exhaust leaking to detrimentally affect the engine performance? Everything was super duper awesome on the bike before switching back to OEM.. Strangely enough, the sound of the OEM over the Roadking is from the rider position close enough when it's cool out (engine decelleration) but buddy riding behind me says it's a lot quieter than the roadking pipes..

Thoughts or ideas?

if the power issue is resolved and enough of a fuel mileage increase is experienced, I may well just leave these on for the big trips but toss on the louder pipes for the fun local rides ;)

And does anyone know where to go that those darn chrome clamps used when installing Roadking slippons to a RSV??!!

Cheers

This week I tried to install new turn down pipes I busted one of the exhaust clamps and can't find them locally anywhere. I got these with the screamin eagle slippons I had been riding with since last year.. got the new down turns and busted one of the clamps.. SO back to the OEM slippons until I find a new clamp..

Riding yesterday with the OEMs on I was surprised at a few observations.. some good and some bad.. I was hoping someone could let me know what's the what here..

I'll have to say that the pipe clamp on the OEM slippons can't be tightened much because of the nuts on the bold isn't 'tack welded' on anymore, allowing the nut to free turn when attempting to tighten the clamp onto the pipe.. and this MAY perhaps be what is causing my issues.. but not sure..

My 06 RSV with the roadking slippons feels like it has more oomph over stock.. I have the K&N air filters installed. My friend's 08 RSV is stock and doesn't feel as gutsy as mine does everytime I ride his.. My RSV with RK slippons and K&N filters doesn't get the great milage his bike enjoys.. but it's got a better sound and better giddyap and go factor.

When I put the OEMs on, I found myself riding in 4th at 65 - 70 mph more readily, actually catching myself not realizing I'm actually in third wondering why my mirrors seem 'buzzy' until I try to shift into 5th but discovering I'm now in 4th.. I'm guessing is that I'm going by engine / exhaust noise and actually getting the revs way up there now..

But the pinch of the matter is that I am a bit concerned by the lack of power the bike is making when dropping the hammer, say like when you're on the on-ramp to a highway, merging into traffic.. you accelerate and the power curve seems to be hanging there.... and then it catches. I thought I might have been slipping the clutch until it worked itself out and caught.. strange sensation.. engine sounded normal.. but the sensation of acceleration felt quite hesitant.. I couldn't tell if I was actually accellerating or not as I was watching for traffic as I was merging on but the couple / three times this happened, it felt a lot like hang time waiting for the bike to 'catch' and accellerate..

I never had that with the roadking slippons installed.. when I dropped the hammer on the bike, I could bring it up to the rev limiter and you could feel it all accelerate evenly and smoothly.

I want to see if my mileage comes up with the OEMs back on the bike, I'll be able to know after a couple of tanks of gas..

I don't know if this is how the RSV is normally behaving when running with OEM slippons or if the lack of tightened clamps is causing enough exhaust leaking to detrimentally affect the engine performance? Everything was super duper awesome on the bike before switching back to OEM.. Strangely enough, the sound of the OEM over the Roadking is from the rider position close enough when it's cool out (engine decelleration) but buddy riding behind me says it's a lot quieter than the roadking pipes..

Thoughts or ideas?

if the power issue is resolved and enough of a fuel mileage increase is experienced, I may well just leave these on for the big trips but toss on the louder pipes for the fun local rides ;)

And does anyone know where to go that those darn chrome clamps used when installing Roadking slippons to a RSV??!!

Cheers

Clamps I used I got through my dealer. 1" chrome, came in in 3 days. They were not the really wide ones most use, but they worked.

Clamps I used I got through my dealer. 1" chrome, came in in 3 days. They were not the really wide ones most use, but they worked.

I found the ones I need on eBay.. sames ones I busted (I was stronger / dumber than the metal.. ooops)

Cheers!