I have a 1990 VR. The tape deck has always worked well and I enjoy listening to different music tapes when I'm on the road touring and can't get a local radio station. Recently, while on a 7000 mile tour of the northern US, the tape deck "ate" my tape. I tried to see what had happened looking down from the top but all I could see was the tape was hopelessly wrapped around some component in the bowels of the machine.

When I got home, I took the tape deck out of the holder and removed the bottom cover, exposing the area where the tape was all entangled. I removed the "mess" very carfully and after inspecting the parts for wear or damage, reassembled the player, as all looked OK. Put it back on the bike and it seemed to work just as expected. Today I made a new tape to replace the one that was "eaten" while on tour. Tonight I put it in the player and tried to play it. The damn thing "ate" the tape again. What should I look for to repair this unit ? Can it be repaired ? Or is it just worn out and time to think about junking it ? Thanks for any help in resolving this dilema.

Red Baron

There are rubber pinch wheels that press against little stems where with the tape is transported. Most likely these rubber wheels have some debrie on them and that causes the tape to momentary stick to them and voila you have a mess. Take a Q-tip and some contact cleaner to clean the whole transporter system, all the stems and rubber wheels and make sure all the belts are working. Inspect the wheels for any damage while you're at it and you should be good to go. Mind you, I don't think the 90 VRs liked heavy rock so if that's what you were playing, it may also be an issue.

There are rubber pinch wheels that press against little stems where with the tape is transported. Most likely these rubber wheels have some debrie on them and that causes the tape to momentary stick to them and voila you have a mess. Take a Q-tip and some contact cleaner to clean the whole transporter system, all the stems and rubber wheels and make sure all the belts are working. Inspect the wheels for any damage while you're at it and you should be good to go. Mind you, I don't think the 90 VRs liked heavy rock so if that's what you were playing, it may also be an issue.

I agree - worked in HiFi sales for many years and what Marcarl suggests is usually the case. Also make sure you're using reasonably good quality tapes and don't go for lengths greater than 90 mins. The manufacturers have to use thinner mylar to make the tape fit in the case if it's longer than a 90 min tape. It's much more prone to breaking than the stuff used in 90 min or less tapes.