IGNORED

Barons Lower Kit

I’ve got a problem. I put the barons lowering kit on a couple of months ago and it has worked fine. The problem is that I had the back tire changed the other day and I experience a rubbing noise when I back up. It is really loud. It does not happen when going forward. It appears to be coming from the brake. I can’t tell if everything was put back on in the correct order. I cannot find my instructions. I need help because everything needs to go in a certain order and I can’t remember how it goes. Can anyone send me the instructions?

Thanks

Everette

Everette,

You don't mention what year or model bike we're talking about, so I have to assume you are referring to the V-Star mentioned in your profile. The Baron's site only shows 2 dogbone links for that bike and a one page instruction in pdf format (BA-7540-00) which you can view and/or download. If all else fails, call Barons tech support. (I did relating to a lowering kit for my 98 RSTD and they saved me having to spring for a new kickstand)

It sounds like a brake pad may be getting cocked in the caliper. I'm working under the assumption still, that it's the V-Star and that's what confuses me. Once the dogbones are changed, I wouldn't think they would even be touched again to change a tire; therefore, whatever else they're doing wouldn't even appear on the Baron's instructions!??????.

If by chance you've got a 2nd Gen RSV or a late model RSTD, that kit does have lots of parts and Baron's doesn't show a pdf instruction for it. I think in any event, if it's the instructions you want or need, give their tech support a call. (888) 278-2819 (24/7)

That's all I got! stick a fork in me, I'm done

Steve

On the right side of the wheel, brake side, there is a bushing that inserts into the hub. It has a turned down shoulder. If that bushing is put in backwards it will allow the wheel to run out just enough to slightly rub the tire. The small shoulder of the bushing goes into the hub, against the wheel bearing. Make sure it wasn't installed backwards or left out completely. It will fall out when the wheel is removed.

I want to thank everyone who helped me with this problem. Main problem was finding time to look at it. It was a very simple problem. There is a piece that hangs off the frame that has a hole in it. A nipple on the caliper bracket fits through the hole and just hang there. When they changed my tire the part that hangs was twisted a bit when they cranked down on the bolt and this put a bind on the caliper bracket. I could not see it until I had the bike on the jack and was under it looking up at everything. Just took a ride and everything works great.

I really do appreciate all the suggestions and help.

Thanks

Everette