IGNORED

Army pup tent

Sideoftheroad

When I get more time, I will post pics of my father's day weekend with my daugther and also pup in my pup tent.

In high school I was part of the explorer scouts (basically a recruiting tool for the National Guard). We did camping so I have a military pup tent (assuming Army). I haven't had it out since high school but thought it would be fun for the kids to play in.

Anyway I tried setting it up and did an ok job of it. Here is where some of you might have to break out your field manuals. LOL. Is there an SOP for setting up a military pup tent? For instance in order: Poles on each end, guy line on each end, ground stakes on each corner and 2 in the middle.

My problem was that there was a bow in the middle and I just imagine the ridgeline should be straight. When I post the pics, you will see what I mean.

Also what was used for ground covering and guessing it isn't waterproof, so what was put over it to keep the water out?

Seems like I remember a rain poncho thrown over the top or used for ground covering and just snapped the poncho to the tent. Been a long time so I don't remember anymore.

I don't know if there are any variations of military pup tents but, the tent itself it 2 halves that overlap in the middle and snap together. You have 2 holes on each end for the tent poles and a loop on each end for the guy line (I think that is what the rope is called). You have 3 holes on each side for the tent stakes (really 4 on each end if you include the holes for the flaps.

There are some markings on the tent that I wonder if anyone might know about or how to find some info. about it. It says DR MO W2 2PEQ. The tent pole is in 3 sections on each end and all but one is stamped 1975. The other one I don't remember the date, seems like either in the 80's or early 90's.

Called it a Shelter Half because each Soldier was issued one half. So you had to find a buddy to make it a two man shelter. I spent a few weeks / months in them since 1982 (Wow 27 years ago and Still serving in US Army Reserve for 7 more years) What can I say I believe if a job needs to be done then shut up and do it... Where have the years gone???

:fiddle:

Hi

Looks like you have the basics down these tents may or may not have a place to put a rope mid way about half way up on the tent to pull them out for more room. Thay alwas sag a little in the middle. After 23 yrs in them Im glad I dont have to worry about putting them up any more. Oh stake one side of the entrance and exit then at night snap the other flap to it agin more room.

Bull 463

It looked to me like you had your lines staked a little too close to the tent. A little further out should give you a little more tautness. We didn't have a ground cover, dug a small trench around the outline so that any water would run around rather than through. But sometimes that didn't work so good. The overall tent is waterproof, but don't touch the inside when it is raining or you would get a leak. I have stayed in one set up in the German mountains in November, snow piled up against the sides. Waterproof, but definately lets in the cold.

Alternative method is to make a tanker roll. Lay a shelterhalf out on the ground, put down the air mattress (which never held air), then poncho, then sleeping bag. Get in bag and pull the rest of the poncho over the top and you have a pretty decent sleep arrangement without having to put up with a tentmate.

you need guied lines in both the front anr rear of the tent. They hook on to the tops of the poles once tent is up. tighten by pulling ropes tight. Lines can be purches at any Army and Navy store or stop by any NG Unit, they may be more than willing to help you out.

TopV 1SG Ret:

Guest seuadr

the other end gets run out on a stake :)

http://www.civilwaracademy.com/images/Civil-War-Tent.jpg

i've spent alot of summer nights in one of these (civil war pup tent)

No, only one stake per rope. A couple of links for you. The first is an extract of a manual showing graphically how to set up the tent. http://www.olive-drab.com/archive/fm21-15_p68-71.pdf.

The site that contained the link above that has photos: http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_shelter_half.php.

Edited by Gray Ghost
misworded