IGNORED

front brake reservoir float switch?

Hi,

One of the issues my red bike came to me with is an intermittent brake fluid alert on the dash computer display, regardless of how much fluid is or isn't in the hydraulic systems front and rear. (The P.O. had disabled the red flashing light by cutting a wire on the back of the dash but I can't live like that.)

When it happened to me today, I had forgotten, that I had previously (last fall) isolated this to the float switch in the front brake reservoir. Sometimes it seems to stick open circuit and nothing will persuade it otherwise.

After a bit of headlight removing, wire tracing, continuity measuring and head scratching, it all began to come back to me so I popped the lid of the res and lifted the float by hand. NOPE still o/c on that float switch even with the float held at top of its travel.

I just happened to have a very powerful magnet, from a computer disk drive, handy. When I held it close to the side of the reservoir casting, suddenly I had continuity at last. Remove the powerful magnet and bob the float and the alert comes back.

The lessons here I think are that:

A) a powerful magnet is a good but not obvious trouble shooting tool.

B) that my float's magnet is weak or the reed switch has become unreliable or both.

Questions I have come away with are:

1) Can the reed switch portion of the reservoir be changed?

2) Can it be done without removing the brake lever assy from the handle bar?

3) Is there any way to get a more powerful magnet into my float or perhaps rejuvinate the one already there?

BTW, I also have a similar thing going on with this bike's engine oil level switch. I have in mind to replace that next oil change but it seems odd that two float switches would fail on the same bike. Is there any history of this? Do you think I should ask the P.O. if he experiences other odd phenomena like crops circles that might also have had an effect on the magnets on this bike?

Opinions and advice welcome as always.

Thanks,

Brian H.

Hi,

One of the issues my red bike came to me with is an intermittent brake fluid alert on the dash computer display, regardless of how much fluid is or isn't in the hydraulic systems front and rear. (The P.O. had disabled the red flashing light by cutting a wire on the back of the dash but I can't live like that.)

When it happened to me today, I had forgotten, that I had previously (last fall) isolated this to the float switch in the front brake reservoir. Sometimes it seems to stick open circuit and nothing will persuade it otherwise.

After a bit of headlight removing, wire tracing, continuity measuring and head scratching, it all began to come back to me so I popped the lid of the res and lifted the float by hand. NOPE still o/c on that float switch even with the float held at top of its travel.

I just happened to have a very powerful magnet, from a computer disk drive, handy. When I held it close to the side of the reservoir casting, suddenly I had continuity at last. Remove the powerful magnet and bob the float and the alert comes back.

The lessons here I think are that:

A) a powerful magnet is a good but not obvious trouble shooting tool.

B) that my float's magnet is weak or the reed switch has become unreliable or both.

Questions I have come away with are:

1) Can the reed switch portion of the reservoir be changed?

2) Can it be done without removing the brake lever assy from the handle bar?

3) Is there any way to get a more powerful magnet into my float or perhaps rejuvinate the one already there?

BTW, I also have a similar thing going on with this bike's engine oil level switch. I have in mind to replace that next oil change but it seems odd that two float switches would fail on the same bike. Is there any history of this? Do you think I should ask the P.O. if he experiences other odd phenomena like crops circles that might also have had an effect on the magnets on this bike?

Opinions and advice welcome as always.

Thanks,

Brian H.

I've got a good front brake resevior i'll sell cheap probably easier to change out resevior that micro manage the switch.

Because you are having more than one warning take the CMS module out of the dash and open it up. Look for "cold joints on the circuit board, redo them as needed. The area you want to look at is the back side of the board where the large female plus is. After making sure all the connections are done really well, check for grounding issues related to the module.

I was getting intermitten warnings with my 83 and after repairing the joints all is well.

Might not be it but I would almost bet it is.

Steve N

take the CMS module out of the dash and open it up. Look for "cold joints on the circuit board, redo them as needed.

Thanks, I have already done that. None found but re heated many anyways just in case.

The problem IS isolated to the two float switches using a multi meter to measure continuity at their respective connection wires. There isn't any mystery about it the float switches are flakey.

Cheers,

Brian H.

I believe, when the fluid level is high enough, the switch is closed.

So: Just short the two wires together, before they go into the Fluid Resovoiur,

the light should go " Off ". Then simply look at the sight glass to check fluid level.

Same as Harley, or any other bike.

This is just not worth all the anguish, and trouble to fix that stupid switch !!!

Anyway, thats what I would do.

I believe, when the fluid level is high enough, the switch is closed.

So: Just short the two wires together, before they go into the Fluid Resovoiur,

the light should go " Off ". Then simply look at the sight glass to check fluid level.

Same as Harley, or any other bike.

This is just not worth all the anguish, and trouble to fix that stupid switch !!!

Anyway, thats what I would do.

I'll likely do something like that temporarily but it will bug me. I'll fix it or replace it.

BTW, I'll give you one guess what the sight glass looks like.

Cheers,

Brian H.