IGNORED

Passing Lamps Adjustments

calperin

Ok,

New bike, new world of differents issues, of course I prefer these new problems than the olders.

Situation: Get the Star4772 (Joe) 1997 royal star (6300 miles), it comes with mounting passing lamps bar (No passing lamps), wind deflectors hardware (No deflectors included) and installed leather saddlebags and non installed plastic saddlebags.

After digging around, got the missing parts: Deflectors, Passing Lamps

Not the big deal, now apart from pay the 88$ for the dealer installation someone knows how to align the passing lamps. It seems impossible to relocate the lamps one you mount both the lamp and the turning light on each side.

The beam is lighting the floor around 7 to 9 feets on front of the bike.

Suggestions???? (Please nothing related to put 88$ on a dealer...)

Unfortunately the only way to adjust them is prior putting the lamp back together. Its a PAIN IN THE BUTT! Take it apart, adjust, put toghether test, take apart, adjust....etc You get the picture. Get em close and then don't worry about it, that was my motto. Oh forgot the only way to adjust is with the bolt inside the light on the post that holds it to the bar.

Jay

PS: Just thought, ask the dealer to adjust, that should have been part of the install. It was on mine. Lot better than on the ones I installed on my V*1100.

Ok,

New bike, new world of differents issues, of course I prefer these new problems than the olders.

Situation: Get the Star4772 (Joe) 1997 royal star (6300 miles), it comes with mounting passing lamps bar (No passing lamps), wind deflectors hardware (No deflectors included) and installed leather saddlebags and non installed plastic saddlebags.

After digging around, got the missing parts: Deflectors, Passing Lamps

Not the big deal, now apart from pay the 88$ for the dealer installation someone knows how to align the passing lamps. It seems impossible to relocate the lamps one you mount both the lamp and the turning light on each side.

The beam is lighting the floor around 7 to 9 feets on front of the bike.

Suggestions???? (Please nothing related to put 88$ on a dealer...)

Heres my method and it may not be suited for everyone.

I tighten them down to a point were they will stay put, but allows me to move them by hand. I then adjust the lights by hand just by looking at them. That gets them into the right area. I reassemble them and just at twilight I place the bike around 80 feet back in front of the garage door, door down. Now do the alignment on the garage door. Hold the bike upright. Just like you were riding. Pick a place on the garage were they should be. What you see is what you get. Move the lights by hand until they are at your liking. Once their proper alignment I them remove the bulb and torque everything down.

:080402gudl_prv::)

My method is close to Al's, but even easier (IMHO). I tighten them to the point where I can force them to move, but only with a LOT of pressure, then put them all back together. Now when I align them, the job is done; no taking them back apart to tighten things more. This method worked without any problems or shifting of the aim for 35,000 miles. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

The easyest way is to buy an angle finder. They can be found at Harbor Freight or other parts places. Remove retainer ring and light. Use small carpenders square. Place square an angle finder on light,bike can be kept on side stand. Set each light at 90 degrees. Will have to use 17mm wrench to hold bottom bolt. Hold wrench and tighten with one hand and thighten nut or allen head bolt, witchever it is you have. They come with eighter a 12mm nut or an 8mm allenhead bolt. Angle finders cost about $2.

tew47

TEW47 "The easyest way is to buy an angle finder. . . . Set each light at 90 degrees."

This is a great way to do it if you want your "passing" lights to point straight ahead. I prefer the term road lights or driving lights myself, but that's beside the point. I live in big game country (i.e. deer, antelope, elk, moose, not to mention open range cows and horses, etc.) and have mine pointed toward the ditches on each side to see the large beasties before they are jumping out in front of me. My tri-bar headlight has plenty of distance on high beam for the straight down the road stuff.

Regardless, you still need to go through the aformentioned processes to move them around.:080402gudl_prv: Jeff