IGNORED

Another Qustion On 'Winterizing".

I just read some posts on 'Winterizing' our scoots, and am clear on all concerns except one: Having the wheels off the ground. Now, I don't have any such equipment that would allow the raising & holding of my bike, a few inches above ground so that its wheels aren't making contact with the ground, and I was wondering if it would be all right to place a length of wood beneath the wheels so that they aren't contacting the concrete floor. Please inform.

I believe the purpose for lifting it to get the rubber away from the Concrete, as the concrete will draw the moisture from the rubber, leaving them brittle.

I do not lift the bike either but I place a rubber car floor mat under the tires to prevent the contact, to the concrete.

Never had a problem yet. I also try to move the bike a little over winter.

Brad

Guest timshosvt

Jack stands are cheap enough and you really only need to take the pressure off the front tire. If you find some short stands, you can have someone lean on the back of the bike while on the centerstand, and slip the stand under it. Just be careful that the centerstand doesn't slip while you are doing that, and keep children away from it. I'm going to park mine on some carpet squares again this year, but I'm betting it doesn't matter if you have a sealed concrete floor.

You could just let me ride it this winter and not worry about it. :)

Tim

I just read some posts on 'Winterizing' our scoots, and am clear on all concerns except one: Having the wheels off the ground. Now, I don't have any such equipment that would allow the raising & holding of my bike, a few inches above ground so that its wheels aren't making contact with the ground, and I was wondering if it would be all right to place a length of wood beneath the wheels so that they aren't contacting the concrete floor. Please inform.

Guest timshosvt

This is why I should ride it all winter, you see.

It also has to do with not developing a flat spot in the tire where it contacts the ground, with the weight of the bike on it all winter.

Dan

This is why I should ride it all winter, you see.

Hey man, I wish that I could do just that :). The winters here can be brutal, and I can only remember seeing ONE rider who rode his bike through the winter. As long as the streets were relatively clear of snow, this guy would (no matter HOW cold it was) would ride his bike to work. I am sure that this was born out of necessity - as he owned no other vehicle. This fellow worked in Orchard Park, NY, and was living in Buffalo, NY. He had no special riding gear, and would often pull up to the filling station (where I was employed, at the time) with just a short leather jacket (and not a thick one), jeans and a knitted scull cap. It would be so cold, just opening the window to receive his fuel payments, so I don't know HOW IN THE WORLD he did it. That's some kinda work ethic, isn't it? :).

When I first got my bike last fall, if it was 40+, sunny and not too windy, I'd take it out just to get used to it and see how she ran. A pair of Carharts and the open vents, I was just fine. Now if I could figure out how to vent engine air up to the handgrips, I'd be rich.

Dan