IGNORED

Need advise. Exhaust smell in drivers seat. Oil on air intake at carb boot.

I noticed since I got my 07 Venture out this year that I have what seems to be an exhaust smell in the driver's area from time to time. My wife does not notice it at all in the passengers seat.

So today I checked a few things out and here is what I found.

• I discovered I have small exhaust leaks at both of the "Y" crimped connections.
  • I removed the tank and discovered oil seepage around the left front carb boot where it connects to the air box. Needless to say there shouldnt be oil up there. I removed the air box and checked inside and found oil in the air box. It appears to have been sucked in from the crankcase vent. There was more on the left side than on the right. I cleaned everything up and put it back together. I remembered reading on this site about what happens if the engine oil level is to high. Mine was pretty much at the top mark so I drained a bit of oil out until it was at mid level.
  • I have not had a chance for a test ride yet as it has been pouring rain all day
  • I run two cans of seafoam thru each year at the beginning and end of season
  • The carbs are in sync

All of this leads to a few questions which I am hoping someone can help with.

1. Could the oil level be what caused the oil in the airbox or do I have another problem?
  2. Would the oil being sucked in also give me the exhaust smell I have been experiencing?
  3. It sounds like leaking "Y" connections are quite common as they are crimped and not welded. Would they cause the exhaust smell? Should I be after Yamaha to replace them or will the new ones be any better?
  4. Because some oil could has been sucked in should I clean the carbs somehow. I thought about dumping some seafoam into the intake of each carb and let it work its way thru. Is that a good idea?

Lots of questions I know. Thanks in advance for any and all advise. Jim