On a recent trip, I was cruising along on my 88VR at around 120km/hr (about 75mph) under cruise control when suddenly, my stop/run button popped from run to stop. I thought I had pressed the button but it happened several more times after I reengaed the crusie control. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on what caused this?

Oh yeah this is a common problem. I can't remember the exact steps to fixing it but I'm sure it's in the tech section. It has to do with the switch on the clutch handle. I think mine broke or something and I was able to either swap it with the hand brake side or rework the switch. Been a few years since I did one.

BOO

Not sure what you mean form stop/run button.

If you're running along and the cruise disengages (The power light and orange resume light are on) that is often the clutch switch. Wear in the lever pivot leaves the lever loose and keeps it from holding the switch in. Bumps and such cause it to disengage.

Not sure what you mean form stop/run button.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I should have called it the "kill switch" instead of the stop/run button. The kill switch suddenly popped on its own from run to stop. This only happened while I was on cruise. As you can imagine, this was annoying to say the least as power to the motor shut down. After I switched back to run and the motor kicked in, I was able to reset the cruise until the next time it happened.

Does the Engine off (kill) switch feel normal when you rock it off and on....snaps into place....no looseness?

The cruise control power flows through the kill switch. Does this problem occur with just cruise powered up...or powered up and set? You may have an issue with abnormal current flow in the cruise circuit that is causing the kill switch to heat up...the expansion causing it to pop to off.

Dirty contacts in the kill switch might be an issue....but it should drop voltage exiting switch and since that also feeds ignition system, I'd think the bike would run poorly.

You might want to verify you have the correct amp fuse in the ignition....in case someone has bumped up the fuse to "band aid" a previous problem and you are overdrawing on this cicrcuit.

Here is some info in response to your questions, which I appreciate:

Does the Engine off (kill) switch feel normal when you rock it off and on....snaps into place....no looseness? yes, feels right and operates properly

The cruise control power flows through the kill switch. Does this problem occur with just cruise powered up...or powered up and set? occurs only when powered up and set You may have an issue with abnormal current flow in the cruise circuit that is causing the kill switch to heat up...the expansion causing it to pop to off.

Dirty contacts in the kill switch might be an issue....but it should drop voltage exiting switch and since that also feeds ignition system, I'd think the bike would run poorly. bike starts excellent now, although it feels like it could use a carb sync - what is involved in cleaning these contacts?

You might want to verify you have the correct amp fuse in the ignition....in case someone has bumped up the fuse to "band aid" a previous problem and you are overdrawing on this cicrcuit. will check again to be sure, but I don't recall anything off from a previous fuse inspection