IGNORED

How I contributed to the crash of my Venture

MiCarl

Carl, Glad you are OK, good to hear you have great body control and kept the undies clean!:crackup:

As for being better off in the right lane, you might have been, but it is my experience that 99% of drivers don't know that when you make a turn into a multi-lane road from either the right OR left, you should stay to that side of the road till you confirm that the other lane is empty. IN other words, your distracted lady driver probably would have just pulled directly into your right hand lane and gotten up even MORE speed!

I would like to say I have never driven or ridden distracted or just been not paying attention, but hey, it happens to the best of us. Every time I screw up or almost get screwed by another driver, I try to file that away and learn from it.

• 2 weeks later...

... I headed home ... in the rain, full rain suit on my first of two 86 VR's; (On my second now compliment of Squidley with Lonna's permission).

Ahhhh, I was within 1 miles of home ... saw those rail road tracks, and rode over them as instructed. They were at a lower left to upper right angle, so I hit the right of the lane (2 lane road) and drove straight across.

Mistake? Nope, just a freek of the rail road ties. It had been raining all night (this was about 11 PM) and most of the day according to my then wife. Blip, front tire went right, I went down, rolled three times in my full dress wet suite and came up walking, watching my beautiful 86 VR Ursula Black on Gold bounce down the road.

Why? I had hit a knot hole on one of the ties, ... where naturally all the rail road and vehicle traffice had dropped losts of oil. There was no way I could have seen it, it just leaped up there and bit me and Zfrebird1 in the but!

I had help from two young teenage girls in picking her up and getting the kickstand down. I picked up as many parts as I could find, threw them in the back truck.

As I was about to leave, a little old lady drove up, and said, we just called 911 for you. Fearing a ticket for now reason, ... I was off, got home, garage door down, and whew. I was ok. $450 in parts from the insurance and self installed.

Lesson Learned: On crossing rail road tracks, wait till not traffice if possible, barely raid over with both feet on the pavement.

Advice appreciated.

JackZ

• 1 month later...

... as it was still light. 3 lanes, in lane #2, signled to go left, BIG black boxes to left drops back (probably just distracted), ... sees me coming in to his lane thinking he was giving me a break, and he floors it. I flip the 1st Gen to the right just in time, and missed him, then in behind him to the stop waiting for the turn light. I just waived at him (or her; you know those dark windows). .. and let him go on, as I proceeded slowly in the out lane. I did not want to deal with road rage.

And, oh, yes, said a prayer of thanksgivng to the Lord, and Frebird2, ... that she handled like a dirt bike. I was also thankful the road was beautiful CO dry!

JackZ

Ft Collins, CO

:thumbsup::2133:

My dad who rode for over 50 years always told me "when you see a car near you, he WILL do exactly what you are positive he couldn't possibly do". Except for an ocassion when a Hummer decided to use the same exit as me with out leaving enough room for the both of us, I have been lucky enough to stay out of the way.

But what I have seen on two ocassions has stayed with me always. Coming back from Rolling Thunder a few years ago about 30 of us were in the middle lane of 95 heading south when a BMW came up on the right of us....the driver looked us up and down over his left shoulder...beeped his horn and when Joe looked over at him he came over and pushed about 5 of us out of the lane and took off for parts unknown. Last nite as we were driving behind a GW, pulling into a shopping center I saw a women come out of a fast food place in front of him, looking at him the whole way over in front of him. I now wish my RSV had antilocks available, that's the only thing that kept him on two wheels.

I am very glad that you are okay and have given us another lesson on staying focused