IGNORED

CB Mike for 2006 Venture

Guest skunk328

Guest skunk328

Hey, all:

I was wondering if anyone could help? I have a 2006 Venture and was wondering if I could plug only a CB mike into the 5-pin communicator outlet? I've seen Harleys and Hondas be able to do this but theirs is a 7 (or 8?) pin outlet?

Also, if it can be done... any idea where to get one? I'm in Barrie, Ontario area. I tried "The Source" but no luck.

My wife and I don't use the communicator outlets because I don't have them and if I did, I would have to buy new helmets as well. That expense isn't realistic right now.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Skunk

That's what I have and use. I have it attached to my cup holder, so If I can't pick it up I can lean forward slightly and speak into it. On mine the PTT button on the mic does not enable talking. You have to use the PTT bottom on the left handle bar. So unless you can take your right hand off the bars you can't hold it. I think one of my gallery pics should show how its mounted. I got it from someone on the Delphi forum. I think any matching 5 Pin mic might work.

Jay

Guest skunk328

Thanks! I was a bit concerned about having to use the PTT button instead of the mike button. Does anyone have a CB mike that doesn't require the PTT to activate it? Or maybe there is a way to disable the PTT temporarily?

Hi Skunk. There is a bunch of us down here in Kitchener, and members of SCRC 270, I would assume you know a few of them.

Anyway not sure the helmut you are using and what you think expensive is, but here is a cheap J&M which are pretty good.

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2310_J_M_HS8154_Headset_for_Goldwing_w_1Piece_Cord

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DHS%2D8154%2DOF

I bought mine from Sierra but I know a SCRC member who bought his from Wingstuff, and had it shipped directly to his house.

The Intercom is quite nice when riding two up.

Brad

Guest skunk328

Thanks, Brad. That looks like a good alternative. Probably far better than just using a CB mike. I will have a hard time going from a half helmet, which is the only kind I have ever worn. I guess change is in order though! Thanks again!

Skunk

Skunk

If you get headsets from wingstuff watch out for the shipping fees. The price for the headsets is really good...I bought two sets this year. But the brokerage fees came to 50 bucks!

If you have someone in the US that you can send em to that might be cheaper. They only ship UPS I believe and that adds up quick for us Canucks!

Good headsets btw...not top of the line but good anyway.

On my 1st gen I have a hand mike..it automatically transmits when I push the button on the mike....no bypass needed. Havent tried it on the 2nd gen but would think its the same.

Thanks, Brad. That looks like a good alternative. Probably far better than just using a CB mike. I will have a hard time going from a half helmet, which is the only kind I have ever worn. I guess change is in order though! Thanks again!

Skunk

This one I posted does not work with the half helmut the boom is not quite long enough. The one they have for the half helmut is

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DHS%2DBCD277%2DKHH

This is the one my wife uses. The sound quality is better than mine, but the cost is quite a bit more.

Sarge I believe buddy here did say there was an extra charge. Mine did not ship across the border (good point). Still cheaper than buying same thing in Canada/

Brad

they have one designed for half or no helmet at http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IMC%2DHSG45

Someone previously posted that here - I haven't ordered it yet but I think that's the way I am going...

These look interesting but may be a pain to put the helmut on.

Brad

Skunk

My wife and I use the $59.00 headset in our 1/2 helmet and it works great. I just sewed some material on the straps and then sewed the velcro mounts on that material and then installed the headsets. Works great. If you need pictures let me know. I also hear that you can Cut off the ear phones and just use the mic and let the sound come out the speakers on bike. (I think ECK has done this)

My wife and I use the $59.00 headset in our 1/2 helmet and it works great. I just sewed some material on the straps and then sewed the velcro mounts on that material and then installed the headsets. Works great. If you need pictures let me know. I also hear that you can Cut off the ear phones and just use the mic and let the sound come out the speakers on bike. (I think ECK has done this)

I would like more info and pictures of what you did and also what ECK did if it was him. I wear a 1/2, but almost exclusively use the speakers. However, the wife and I have discussed that it would be nice to be able to converse every once in a while.

Thanks,

Jay

I would like more info and pictures of what you did and also what ECK did if it was him. I wear a 1/2, but almost exclusively use the speakers. However, the wife and I have discussed that it would be nice to be able to converse every once in a while.

Thanks,

Jay

Get some pictures posted tonight

Guest skunk328
Skunk

If you get headsets from wingstuff watch out for the shipping fees. The price for the headsets is really good...I bought two sets this year. But the brokerage fees came to 50 bucks!

Thanks, actually I heard back from Sierra Electronics. They ship via USPS Airmail and the fee is $20/1set, $25/2 sets. Not sure if duty would need to be paid or not. I noticed with Wingstuff tht they only ship UPS and what a rip-off that is!

Thanks,

Skunk

Guest skunk328

Thank you all for your replies. A lot of good suggestions and avenues to look at. I look forward to seeing some pics.

Thanks again,

Skunk

Guest Linmag

Hi I'm new on here, and its my guy that has the bike. He bought the jvc microphones for our half helmets. My helmet is older and he cut slits in it and put the headphones in then sewed them, ON his new helmet he had slits for the headphones,we do hear road/bike noise, it doesn't bother me but he hates it ...having said that we like then because we can talk back and forth.

He also put tape around two or three of the holes in the microphone and he said it did help with the noise thingy..

I use the low end J&M sets. They work great and fit our helmets well.

My wife has a full face helmet and with some mods it looks "factory", I use a modular so I used a half helmet set and it works jaust as well with the helmet opened or closed.

Can post pics if someone would like to see. I also purchased these from a local supplier as I hate the border problems.(been burned too many times)

I too would like to use a CB Mike and NOT a head set. I used one on a gold wing a couple years a go and I like it more than the head set.

I would like to find one where I could use the switch on the CB Mike and not the one on the handle bar.

Rex