IGNORED

Still 'Another' lowering front end question

spingley

I don't need help lowering front end, thanks to Freebird's write up, I already lowered it 1" and think it's great. In fact I like it so much that I am thinking of lowering it another 1/2". So my question is has anyone out there lowered yours 1" and then decided to lower it more, and if so what was your opinion. Is it worth the extra work?

Steve,

I have just one question.....why would you want lowered any more? You didn't say if you had also lowered the rear, but in most cases of being able to get your feet on the ground (inseamed challenged) you lower both the front and rear to keep the attitude of the bike pretty much level to effect the handling of the bike in general.

Many of us have raised the rear with the Leveling Links to effect this while others have chosen to lower the front to accomplish the same thing. However in just lowering the front, you really quicken up the steering which makes for a better handling bike for slow speed manuevers and riding the curves. But if you lower it too much, you run the chance of setting up a bad head shake on decelleration while at higher speeds. Sport bikes have this geometry but they handle it with a hydralic stableizer.

Hope this helps,

Rick

One thing you might consider before lowering the front more is the clearance between the fender and the radiator. I lowered my bike front and rear and am very pleased with it. You will however, need to shorten the kickstand. I had a '96 Royal Star before I moved up to the '06 RSV and like the feel of a lower bike.

Since lowering the front end it really is easier to handle at low speeds, it now easier to back it out of garage, and I can now see over the smaller windshield I installed. I thought a little lower may be even easier to back out and see a little better over the windshield as I hate looking thru one. I was not aware of any high speed handling issues, and I regularly go 100MPH+ on flat reasonably straight Indiana roads so I will have to be carefull until I am sure how it handles

I haven't had any high speed handling issues after lowering mine 1" in the front. I put apporx. 7,000 miles on mine at stock height, then another 5,000 with the front lowered and around 3,000 since I lowered the rear. One of the reasons I spaced the mods out was so if there was a handling problem, I would know which mod caused it. So far, I am pleased with the feel and handling of the bike at all speeds.

I have built a number of chops over the years and it seems that everytime I do one I learn more about steering geometry.. As you already know, there are a number of items in the equation that ='s stability and all those items have effect on the other items in the equation.. Sometimes adjusting the equation will give positive results and some not so..

A number of years ago I crossed into the realm of negative trail on one of my scoots, it felt fine and acutally really fun to ride.. I slowly tested it back and forth working my way to 120mph.. On this particular scoot all signs of anything bad happening were not found.. I had been testing on a section of road that I had used for this purpose MANY times with MANY bikes so I was sure I had a good grip on the perameters of the testing..

Came back on the 4th test with a funny smell on the bike and a need to buy new underwear.. I had gotten her right up to 90 just a clean and positive as any factory bike.. As soon as I touched 110 I felt a funny vibe in the bar tips and tank pads on my knees.. As soon as I relaxed the throttle it got interesting FAST!!!

Here in Michigan we call em TANK SLAPPERS.. Tank slapping comes from the fact that your tank is slapping your thighs so fast you can keep from getting slapped.. Its also a fact that once you have been tank slap you KNOW it over cause the nature of the beast is just that...

The ONLY was to correct a true tank slapper is to stop,,, BUT,,, hit your brakes and now your no longer tank slapping but pavement sampling.. I have saved a couple slappers by tossing it on the back wheel but there is something in the back of a riders mind that just does not agree with lifting the front wheel while your scoot is acting like a mexican jumping bean is inside its gas tank...

Be REAL careful how much you change your castor, trail, fork oil ect... Do the changes little by little and NEVER assume that everything is fine so you can go further,,, you owe it to yourself to PROVE it is fine and you can go further...

'Puc

By the way,, yes the crotch rockets guys use dampers but so do the dirt guys,, there is NOTHING wrong with setting up a damper - good insurance!!!!