IGNORED

Any down side to starting in gear

Guest Nevada Max

Guest tx2sturgis
Any down side to starting up in first gear assuming you have the clutch in.

Slightly more clutch and starter drag, and a bit more battery drain. But sometimes its hard to find neutral with the engine not running, and especially on a slight grade, even rocking the bike forward and back its STILL hard to find neutral. So in those cases, I dont worry about it too much. Normally, I try to find neutral before starting, if it was left in gear, as a 'parking brake'.

Guest Nevada Max

You're right about finding neutral esp in sand. I need to keep it in gear as a brake. Thanks

From safe, very tranquillo Mexico

Max

The only problem I find when starting in gear is in the winter when the bike is cold and I start it for the first time in the morning it will lurch forward even with the clutch pulled in. I guess the cold oil has enough drag that when it initially cranks it moves the gears somewhat. So I make it a habit of starting a cold bike in the winter in neutral. I don't worry about it any other time.

DT

Guest tx2sturgis
The only problem I find when starting in gear is in the winter when the bike is cold and I start it for the first time in the morning it will lurch forward even with the clutch pulled in. I guess the cold oil has enough drag that when it initially cranks it moves the gears somewhat. So I make it a habit of starting a cold bike in the winter in neutral. I don't worry about it any other time.

DT

Since he's in Mexico, I didnt bother with mentioning that. But for others in more northern climes, its a good point. If the engine is REALLY cold, say, below about 45f or so, its best to start it in neutral.

I have found that when I need to park mine in gear, If I pull in the clutch and hold a little front brake and just bump the starter, then most of the time neutral is easier to find. Evidently that lets the pressure off of the gear box. I rarely rock mine back and forth.