IGNORED

"Y" Spliter

Kregerdoodle

I installed a MX radio about a year ago, and installed the Y spliter from Radio shack as instructed by the fine folks of this site, about a month ago, I lost my right side speakers only while on the XM, they worked fine with the reg. Radio, I opened up the fairing and was applying the contact greese to all connections, when I pulled apart the Y connector, I heard my speakers come on for a second..so I pluged it back in, nothing but the left side....hhhmmm...so I pulled it apart real slow...they worked...ok, so I found a rubber washer that was about 1/8in thick and installed it over the male end and plugged it back in...Shazam!!! they all worked again... so I taped it up real good and put on a few small tywraps to secure it and put the beast back together..all is still working to date. Has anyone else had to do this?? or am I the lucky one??

:confused24:

Those Y adapters are pretty inexpensive, and their reliability pretty much matches the price. You can buy them in a lot of other places besides Radio Crap like Wally World, Tar Jet, Best Lie, etc and should be only a couple of bucks. The problem may also mot be the adapter but rather the cable. I'm using a cassette adapter with my GPS, XM, and IPOD thru it using Y adapters...

Yes, Goose, but he said it was working fine until recently. It more so sounds like he is loosing one channel from the cable and what is happening is when he pulls it out to a certain point the tip is making contact with both the left and right channels. There is a good chance that the MX radio lost a channel or the cable went bad. Thanks for making me think about his problem more!!

I assume you are using the headphone output to feed the audio into the system. If so, plug a set of headphones into the radio and see if both channels are working. Here's how the cables work. On the jack you will see 3 areas, the tip, a short insulated area, a short metal area, another insulated area, and the longer metal area, as looking from the side. The long metal area is ground, common to both channels. The other 2 metal areas are the left and right "hot" audios. If you lost audio from the radio from the channel that the center metal area carries, when you slowly pull the jack out the tip will find a location where it contacts both audio contacts on the Y connector giving you audio on both channels of the regular motorcycle audio system.

Soooo, I'm now thinking either the MX radio lost a chanel, or the cable from the MX to the Y has gone bad...

PS what exactly is an MX radio??:doh:

LOL It was early, I meant XM Radio......

what you explaned is what is happening..... I`m gonna go with my fix of the rubber washer untill that goes South, then I will replace the cables...

Thanks for the input

K

Yes, Goose, but he said it was working fine until recently. It more so sounds like he is loosing one channel from the cable and what is happening is when he pulls it out to a certain point the tip is making contact with both the left and right channels. There is a good chance that the MX radio lost a channel or the cable went bad. Thanks for making me think about his problem more!!

I assume you are using the headphone output to feed the audio into the system. If so, plug a set of headphones into the radio and see if both channels are working. Here's how the cables work. On the jack you will see 3 areas, the tip, a short insulated area, a short metal area, another insulated area, and the longer metal area, as looking from the side. The long metal area is ground, common to both channels. The other 2 metal areas are the left and right "hot" audios. If you lost audio from the radio from the channel that the center metal area carries, when you slowly pull the jack out the tip will find a location where it contacts both audio contacts on the Y connector giving you audio on both channels of the regular motorcycle audio system.

Soooo, I'm now thinking either the MX radio lost a chanel, or the cable from the MX to the Y has gone bad...

PS what exactly is an MX radio??:doh: