IGNORED

Rubber Piece between carb and head

Cracks in the rubber coating on the intake manifolds is pretty common on older 2nd gens, but those usually are only cosmetic. I believe the manifold has a metal interior liner (this refers to a 99 or later Royal Star only - you don't say what bike you have). Spray a little carb cleaner or WD40 on them while idling to test - any change in engine sound or speed shows a vacuum leak.

Your popping on decel is probably caused by rotted rubber caps or damaged vacuum hoses on the manifold vacuum ports. This is usually very easy to fix and the AIS absolutely does not need to be disconnected to solve your problem. Again, that information only applies to a 99 or later RSV or RSTD. I do not have personal experience or knowledge about earlier Royal Stars or 1st generation Ventures.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
clarity on model reference

The rubber pieces that join the carb to the head are dry rotted. Would this be causing my popcorn exhuast under decel. Also is there any quick fix to them besides replacing them?

I had the same problem on my 97 RSTC and no there is no good a fix without replacing them, I tried coating them with 100% silicone to see if that would help, it did help a little but did not last and looked like shi#!!!. You could see the sililcone flexing at idol. It is not that hard to replace your self, took me about 30 to 45 minets and was on the road. There is no metal lining in the boots but do spray them with carb cleaner at idol and you will see for sure. Good luck and good riding