IGNORED

1999 rsv

emanddd

I am going to look at purchasing a 1999 gray silver Venture with 35k miles what kind of tech things should I be looking for? Is there anything during a test ride I should be listening and looking for. The only other bike I owned was a 03 Volusia 1500 that I bought new so I really don't know what to look for in a used bike. Thanks

First of all, WELCOME to the best motorcycle forum on the web!!:thumbsup:

We're glad you're here and hope you stay around and become part of the family!

I used to own a 99 RSV, and the only thing I can really advise you to listen for is the infamous "cricket on steroids" chirp that a small number of these bikes makes. This chirp is the result of the straight-cut gears that Yamaha uses in these bikes. Not all or even a majority of RSV's emit a severe chirp....but on those that do it can soon get to be unbearable. That's the main reason I sold mine after only riding it for 4 months. I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I know that there are others who have had the same issue, but most do not. If you listen while you test ride it, you'll definitely know if this bike has the chirp. Others have described it as sounding like the chirp of George Jetson's car....and that's pretty close.

Good luck, again WELCOME!

Joe

Welcome to the site.

As for the dreaded chirp. It bothers people in different ways. I have owned 2 99's and I can't say if they had/have the dreaded chirp. I don't let things like that bother me. These are big bikes with a lot of stuff on them, they make noise. All kinds of noise. Nothing I have heard alarms me and if there is a chirp or whine, well my radio has a volume knob and I can just "Pump up the Volume".

The first thing I would check on the 99 or any RSV is the rear shock. Check to see if it has air in it, and if it will hold air. Check to see if there is evidence of an oil leak at the bottom of the shock. Both are signs that the shock is shot. Now this isn't a deal breaker, but you will end up shelling out anywhere from $350 - $700.00 for a new shock and another $150.00 for the install if you are not mechanically inclined. If the shock is shot, I suggest staying away from the stock yamaha shock and purchasing the more expensive Works Performance shock which are custom made for you and can be rebuilt for around $100.00. More up front in the beginning, but pays for itself in time. The Yamaha shock is woefully inadequate for this bike and blows out quite regularly.

Check the front end for wobbling, while this isn't a big thing you should be aware of it. Usually it's a wobble at speeds of 35mph and can be caused by tire cupping or more likely the steering head bearing being loose. Both are easy to fix.

I would also look at the seals on the front forks. Not usually a problem, but a 99 with low miles and 35k is relatively low miles, sometimes seals crack from not being used.

Find out any and all mods that the seller/previous owner has done to it. Like changing the dogbones, shock, Jason mod, pipes, rejetted, clutch spring, stuff like that. It goes a long way when you start researching things you want to do and have know idea if the mods have already been done.

Good Luck, Oh and by the way. That is the same color as my bike and in case you didn't know it. It's the FASTEST color they make. :missingtooth:

Oh yeah one more thing, listen for a clicking coming from the rear end as you slow down and come to a stop. It will be more prevalent on the left side. That is a sure sign that the rear splines need to be greased. Most if not all of us grease them every time we change the rear tire.