IGNORED

Problem with 06 and need help quick (ASAP)

Mean Dog

I was getting the trailer wired today to go to Kbrans in the morning. I hot wired it to under the license plate because I have separate turn signals on the trailer. When I checked it with the trailer connected everything worked fine. I disconnected the trailer to get the bike out out the shed that I park in and now I have only a head light, dash lights, radio and the bike will start and run. I have no speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge, turn signals, 4 ways or brake lights........what is up with this?

I turned the ignition on and off several times with no change in the condition. Mind you I don't even have the trailer hooked to the bike! I can't believe that it is a fuse problem because it is effecting too many circuits.

Nee help quick!

Mark

In my exierience you can't guess where an electrical problem is, you have to methodically check. When I guess I'm right about one in four times. When I just methodically check everything I can think of I usually find it.

Check the fuses first. Best of luck.

Check all the fuses. Make sure a wire is not pinched. Sometimes it happens putting things back together. It happen to a friend after installing some rear lights. Loosen everything back up, check all fuses and see if things start working. Just take your time and retrace your steps I'm sure you will fine the problem.

Often a blown fuse is only a symptom. The problem may still be there after you replace the fuse. Al Bates gives some good advice. If you find a blown fuse, re-check your work before you go out riding. Not having any brake lights can be hazardous.

Be safe.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I found a blown fuse in the turn signal circuit. I can't believe that it runs the dash, turn, brake, and all but a 15 amp fuse does it all. I checked the trailer for shorts and with a small battery charger and the running lights are pulling 3.5 amp the turn signals are pulling 2 amps each and the stop lamps are pulling about 4 amps. No shorts in it. So when I hit the brake light on just the bike ......blown fuse again! So it has to be shorted in the bike where I tied in behind the license plate. I'll be fixing that tonight and leaving in the morning for Louisiana. Guess it will be a long night though! Anyway guys thanks again and I really appreciate your help!

Dog :fingers crossed::fingers crossed::fingers crossed::fingers crossed:

Mark glad you found it, pull your plate back off and see if it stops blowing the fuse quote]

I got it fixed and it's before midnight by 2 minutes.....LOL

I pulled the tag and re wrapped the wires with electrical tape and now no more problem. Thanks again guys! I didn't see any pinched wires or where it might have been shorting but it is possible a single strand of copper wire poked through tape on the brake light wire. Anyway it's off to Louisiana in the morning for the Dog! :15_8_211[1]:

Thanks again guys!

Dog

Well, the trip went fine and poor Kbran paid the ultimate price. The poor man worked 11 hours on my bike today in 108 degree temperature to get it ready for the trip to Ga. this coming week. He put on new Flander's bars and hoses and cables, Installed the original grips and weights on the bars, Changed out the tires and balanced them for me, put on new rear brakes even though at 11,200 miles they didn't need them. We checked the front brakes and they still have many miles left on them. So I am ready to go!

Thanks again,

Mark