IGNORED

Moly60? How about... Krytox!

BigBoyinMS

I know Moly-60 is THE lube to use but I ran across this on some bike guys website.

"An alternative to moly is the new poly-flourinated lubricants made by DuPont called Krytox Teflon Bearing Grease. These chemicals are simply magic. They have almost no known

solvents, are chemically inert, and don't burn at any temperature, even in a pure oxygen

atmosphere. This is pretty clearly the only grease to use. See this article. Nascar mechanics have found that Krytox grease can reduce the temperature of spline joints on drive shafts by 150°. Also, this stuff lasts forever. It is, unfortunately, quite expensive."

How expensive? The Moly60 is roughly $10 for 8 oz from your Honda or Acura car dealer. That same 8 oz of Krytox is... $147.54!! Or 2 oz for $44.55. :shock3: :shock3: :mo money:

I'm happy with the Moly60. :hihi:

Yes Krytox is probably THE lubricant on the market today, but as you pointed out, the cost of admission is beyond my shallow pockets...

side note: there is at least one Krytox grease on the market that is a blend of PFPE and Molybdenum Disulphide. Krytox GPL 210-217 EP greases are black greases with 5% Molybdenum Disulphide added as an extreme pressure additive.

I plan on calling DuPont to check out their recommendations for motorcycle splines.... but I may not get around to it.

UPDATE: i sent an e mail to the Krytox contact at DuPont and am awaiting a reply.

Edited by KiteSquid

Just don't get any on ya. It can't be good for you.

Krytox is big in the commercial aviation market and has been for some years, probably one reason cost is so high, we got robbed on everthing we used on aircraft, just because it FAA approved.

Graingers has Loctite-DuPont Krytox RFE, Part # 29711, Grainger #4XZ69. I bought a two oz. tube last year for $41.25 (before I knew about Honda Moly 60. I see in this years' catalog that it is $53.15, WTF - that's almost a 25% increase. Only have about 2000 miles on it, but rear is quiet. But it was quiet before I applied.

What about some of the synthetics out there? I use a 100% synthetic on the wheel bearings for my sports car and it made a huge difference in wear on the bearing raceway. Using standard moly I would get wear and pitting in the race by the time it was ready to be replaced. the last time I switched to the synthetic wheel bearing grease and it looks like new at the same mileage.

Has anyone looked into any of the other new synthetic greases? how about the ones with PFTE in them like the slick-50 grease

Please read the information at THIS link. scroll down to the Spline Lubricants section.

Plain synthetic greases get squeezed out from between the pressures points when splines are in contact.

Molybdenum Disulphide is probably the best high pressure lubricant on the market, which makes it GREAT for lubricating splines.

Honda Moly60 contains 60% Molybdenum Disulphide. There are a few greases with more Molybdenum Disulphide, but they are difficult to locate and usually cost more per Oz. You can also purchase dry Molybdenum Disulphide, but I would not recommend it as Honda Moly60 has some grease in it to make it stick in place better, and you can aspirate dry Molybdenum Disulphide!!!!!!!!!!

You can pick up a 3 Oz tube of Hond Moly60 at a Honda Motorcycle dealer, but you will probably pay less for it if you go to a Honda or Acura CAR dealership parts counter.

According to some second hand information I found on the web at the bottom of this post, as I cannot find the original MSDS on the web easily I find that the carriers in Honda Moly60 are dyno based an regrettably are not synthetic, but the splines in your bike should NEVER get above 300 degrees F, and if you lubricate your splines with Honda Moly60 every time you replace the rear tire, the synthetic carriers would not be an advantage.

Do NOT use MOST of the "Moly greases" on the market as they only have 3-5% Molybdenum Disulphide in them. It is NOT enough Molybdenum Disulphide. Honda Moly60 is 60% Molybdenum Disulphide!!!

The advantages of Krytox over Honda Moly60 MIGHT be longer service intervals and less wear on the splines, maybe.

The advantage of Honda Moly60 is a LOT lower cost, about 12:1 or better.

Here is the second hand MSDS info for Moly60 I found on the internet. If someone can get an original MSDS, PLEASE post the link!!!!!

Ingred Name:MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE

CAS:1317-33-5

RTECS #:QA4697000

Fraction by Wt: 60-62%

Other REC Limits:NONE RECOMMENDED

Ingred Name:MINERAL OIL, PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, SOLVENT-DEWAXED HEAVY

PARAFFINIC

CAS:64742-65-0

RTECS #:PY8038500

Fraction by Wt: 15-20%

OSHA PEL:5 MG/M3 (OIL MIST)

ACGIH TLV:5 MG/M3 (OIL MIST)

Ingred Name:HYDROTREATED HEAVY NAPHTHENIC DISTILLATE, PETROLEUM

CAS:64742-52-5

RTECS #:PY8035000

Fraction by Wt: 10-14%

OSHA PEL:5 MG/M3 (OIL MIST)

ACGIH TLV:5 MG/M3 (OIL MIST)

Ingred Name:LITHIUM 12 HYDROXYSTEARATE

CAS:7620-77-1

Fraction by Wt: 3-6%

Ingred Name:ADDITIVES, PROPIETARY

Fraction by Wt: 1-2%

stardbog,

According to the table at Amsoils website it has no Molybdenum Disulphide in it, so I would not use it in a spline.

I looked at Amsoil's "Moly fortified" greases, and they regrettably don't state the percentage of Molybdenum Disulphide in them, so I would guess that they have 5% or less.

RandyR,

Shipping would be a killer!!!!

You should try to buy it locally!!!!

Also click HERE to see the same seller has it for $7 and $6 shipping for a total of $13.... interesting.

All,

I just got an email reply from DuPont and they recommend Krytox® GPL 214 for motorcycle splines. NOTE that it is fortified with Molybdenum Disulphide for high pressure use!!!!!!!!!!!

A quick search of the Internet I found it to cost $32 for a 2 oz tube plus shipping. I might try it once I run out of Honda Moly60.... that will take me about 10 years for my 3 Oz tube that cost less than 1/3rd the price for 50% more grease........

Edited by KiteSquid

• 3 weeks later...

AFAIK Honda Moly77 is out of production.

HOWEVER there is another 77% moly grease on the market.

Dow sells Molykote® M-77 and I would BET that Honda Moly77 is just repackaged Molykote® M-77.

I used Molykote® M-77 when I was in the US Navy to grease the gear train on a firecontrol RADAR that had almost zero backlash. HIGH pressure and they wanted HIGH lubricity to lengthen the service life of the expensive gears.

Oh and according to Dow's website the shelf life is only 1080 Days