IGNORED

Adding an Air Compressor

johnny canuck

Johnny,

I am assuming you mean an accessory pump for airing the tires vs. a compressor for airing the suspension like on the 1st Gens.

There are several makes and models available. I carry the el-cheapo from Walmart that costs about $10. Slime also makes a nice one fo about $30. It is a little more compact.

If you are going to use one of these, you need to plumb in an aux power outlet that can handle the load. The outlet in the fairing is only fused to 5 amps and the pump takes 8. It will blow the fuse.

Wire in an outlet that is fused with a min 10 amp fuse. Make sure the wires can handle that load also.

RR

Hi

I bought a cheap, compact compressor on sale at Canadian Tire (where else?). Doesn't take up a lot of saddlebag space and I am not tempted to physically install it permanently on the bike (can't imagine it would be worthwhile). I don't have any place to plug it in (yet) but I plan in wiring an accessory socket somewhere that is fused to more than the 5 amps of the socket on the fairing. (As someone mentioned, the 5 amp fuse for the fairing accessory socket will pop with even a small compressor.)

Ross

But I was thinking along the lines of a permanent onboard suspension pump. Any ideas would be appreciated. Being "reallllllly" stubby in the leg dept., I run the shock empty and have put in the lowering kit. But I was thinking of adding a perminent pump like the 1st gens or Goldwings for when wifey gets on the back.

Johnny,

Your best bet will be to get a Progressive manual pump. It is small, zero let off (doesn't leak air when you release it), and relatively inexpensive ($50). It is also good to have for setting air pressure in the front forks.

Believe it or not, the best place to get one of these pumps is at your local Harley dealer.

I see what you are going for though. With no pressure in the rear shock (min height), get on and let the bride get on. Pump up to add some softness to the ride.

You could probably rig up one of the Slime pumps in the trunk. Run the hose out of the bottom of the trunk (there is a rubber plug under the trunk pad) and screw it onto the Schreider valve. Wire it thru a switch and fuse to the battery. Hit the switch and it will pump it up. Unfortunately, not sure how you would let the air out.

Good luck.

RR

I think you could squeeze one inside the fairing...BUT. I would be careful. Any use for just a few minutes causes most I have seen to get hot. I had one that came with a emergency road side kit that I was using to air up a tire on my truck after I found it flat at work. Dumped some fix a flat in it and was gonna fill it up enough to get it to the tire shop. I got it running and was putting the jack that I did not use back in its location.

I walked back around the truck and it was in a ball of flames sitting on top of my tool box. It had got so hot it melted the plastic around it and caught fire. :sign67:

Now imagine that inside you fairing or mounted somewhere on you bike. If you do this make sure it is a damn good one and run it a while to make sure it does not get hot like this one.

I am not sure I would trust one mounted anywhere on my bike.

Guest tx2sturgis

Go to the Honda dealer and buy the one that comes with the GoldThing™. It will run you about $19,000 to $24,000...and it even comes with a free 6 cylinder bike!

:rasberry:

Another option would be to run a fused pigtail out under the seat direct from the battery. I have one and use it to plug in my trickle charger and also have cable attachment for boosting. One could also hook up a compressor or any other 12 V attachments to it and use it as required. Just a thought.

Another option would be to run a fused pigtail out under the seat direct from the battery. I have one and use it to plug in my trickle charger and also have cable attachment for boosting. One could also hook up a compressor or any other 12 V attachments to it and use it as required. Just a thought.

That is what I am looking to do with mine also. All I need now is to find a mating plug that I can wire to the Battery Tender hookup.

RR

That is what I am looking to do with mine also. All I need now is to find a mating plug that I can wire to the Battery Tender hookup.

RR

I have found the SAE plug in more than a few places. I think I bought the last one I picked up at Advance Auto.