IGNORED

Calling on Calgary.......

Iowawegian

Need your help again....hubby and I are planning on 12 day bike trip up to Glacier then on to Banff. Yesterday, I emailed a B & B about staying in Banff on July 15th and 16th. I'm able to book rooms, but was told that it's right during Calgary Stampede. Looked it up on their website and it looks like the dates are July 3-12th for the Stampede.

Just wondering if we are crazy coming up there as we are not big crowd people. I know July and August are busy tourist times anyway for the Banff area....will it be nuts up there still on the 15th and 16th?

Thanks for any help!

Need your help again....hubby and I are planning on 12 day bike trip up to Glacier then on to Banff. Yesterday, I emailed a B & B about staying in Banff on July 15th and 16th. I'm able to book rooms, but was told that it's right during Calgary Stampede. Looked it up on their website and it looks like the dates are July 3-12th for the Stampede.

Just wondering if we are crazy coming up there as we are not big crowd people. I know July and August are busy tourist times anyway for the Banff area....will it be nuts up there still on the 15th and 16th?

Thanks for any help!

It will be a little busier in Banff for sure but Calgary will be where it's "NUTZ" ... I lived there for 8 years but yanno, as busy as it does get in Calgary, it really is a fun time when the stampede is on.

As for getting to Banff, you can by-pass most, if not all of Calgary a variety of ways so pretty easy to stay clear of excessive people and traffic.

making assumptions on which way you are heading--

The stampede will usually affect just Calgary and immediate surrounding area. You should be able to skirt around it. From the day before till the day after the event traffic is bad and then it returns to normal. Sounds like the stampede will over by the time you get anywhere near there.

Banff can be quite touristy and expensive, but scenic. If leaving heading toward calgary, and not in a rush, I suggest highway 1A. Very slow but also scenic.

Other events to skip if you don't like crowds:

Edmonton Capital EX is july 17 - 26, stay out of edmonton. Big valley jamboree is july 30 - aug 2, It doubles the population of Camrose. (we usually leave).

on the upside- my holidays start on the 18th. If I see you on the road I will wave back. (just so you will know it's me!).

Enjoy your holiday!!!!:thumbsup:

I did find a B & B in Banff for $75.00 so in US it should be around $60.00. Didn't think that was to bad.

We aren't into touristy stuff. Just want to see the mountains and have a bed to sleep in.

Thanks for the info!!

You could try Canmore to the East of Banff ... depending on the direction you're travelling, maybe Field BC might work for you... what is your route?

Stampede traffic should be gone by the time you get to Calgary.

Banff is busy all summer. Lots of tour buses.

The highways between Calgary and British Columbia are very busy on Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons as the Calgary folks head to and from their summer cabins in B.C.

I would recommend the ride from Banff to Jasper ( 3 to 4 hours)

Enjoy your trip.

You could try Canmore to the East of Banff ... depending on the direction you're travelling, maybe Field BC might work for you... what is your route?

I took your advice when we were looking at tenting it and got information for Canmore. It showed Bow Valley campgrounds. Looks like there are 3 of them.

I haven't looked up motels or b & b's there yet.

Our route is as follows:

1st day: Belle Fourche South Dakota

2nd day: Butte Montana

3rd day: Big Fork Montana

4th day: Glacier Ntl park

Coming up the Hwy 93 into Alberta on west side of Rocky Mts. to Golden, then over to Lake Louise, Banff, Canmore and spend a couple days riding around the area.

On the way home, we will probably take Hwy 40 south to Longview, hit 22 going South till we are south of Calgary a ways then jump on Hwy 2, to start heading home. via Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota then Iowa.

I don't have a map of Alberta, just the atlas, is HWy 93 a scenic drive?

Highway 93 is actually highway 93 & 95. It splits into 2 separate highways at Radium BC, Highway 95 takes you to Golden BC and Highway 93 takes you to Castle mountain (about 15 miles east of Lake Louise)

I would recommend Highway 93 to Castle mountain, it is very scenic. If you want to see Lake Louise you will need to head west for 15 miles once you get to Castle mountain. I would also recommend the Highway 1A between Lake Louise and Banff. It runs parallel to Highway 1, but is a lot quieter.

I took your advice when we were looking at tenting it and got information for Canmore. It showed Bow Valley campgrounds. Looks like there are 3 of them.

I haven't looked up motels or b & b's there yet.

Our route is as follows:

1st day: Belle Fourche South Dakota

2nd day: Butte Montana

3rd day: Big Fork Montana

4th day: Glacier Ntl park

Coming up the Hwy 93 into Alberta on west side of Rocky Mts. to Golden, then over to Lake Louise, Banff, Canmore and spend a couple days riding around the area.

On the way home, we will probably take Hwy 40 south to Longview, hit 22 going South till we are south of Calgary a ways then jump on Hwy 2, to start heading home. via Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota then Iowa.

I don't have a map of Alberta, just the atlas, is HWy 93 a scenic drive?

Take 22 all the way down to hwy 3 ... it's a beautiful route and keeps you off the 4 lane freeway of hwy #2 (#2 is also quite windy -- lots of cross-winds). Make sure you tank up at Longview.

Route 40 thru Kananaskis is an awesome ride ... be on the lookout for wildlife and be prepared for possible cold temps at the summit.

Hwy 93 is great... lots of awesome scenery and you're never too far from civilization ... make sure you stop over at Radium Hot springs. Instead of going to Golden, you could branch off at Radium and hook up with #1 between Lake Louise and Banff. That is a beautiful national park route. Either direction...it's very good riding and scenery.

You don't know how much I appreciate all of your advice on roads to take. This is a big trip for us. We've never been gone from home this long (12 days!) and going to Banff is on my bucket list. I want to make sure we ride the best roads and your help will make this trip all the better!!

We really like back roads (just don't want to see any bears!!) and try to stay off 4 lanes as much as possible.

thanks again.....

You don't know how much I appreciate all of your advice on roads to take. This is a big trip for us. We've never been gone from home this long (12 days!) and going to Banff is on my bucket list. I want to make sure we ride the best roads and your help will make this trip all the better!!

We really like back roads (just don't want to see any bears!!) and try to stay off 4 lanes as much as possible.

thanks again.....

You might see a bear on hwy 40 and maybe even on 22 ... in fact, on any of those routes but, on hwy 22, you're more likely to come across some rancher herding his cattle down the hwy LOL

Deb & Gary ... I've ridden those routes (#93, #95, #1, #40, #22, #3) many, many times over the past 35 years ... your posting about this trip is sure bringing back memories ... you will enjoy yourselves and these routes ... guaranteed!

Deb & Gary ... I've ridden those routes (#93, #95, #1, #40, #22, #3) many, many times over the past 35 years ... your posting about this trip is sure bringing back memories ... you will enjoy yourselves and these routes ... guaranteed!

You don't know how lucky you are to have such amazing sites!! I can't wait to see them!! All we have here is flat land full of corn and bean fields. I count my blessings that the Mississippi is only a couple hours away. No mountains by any means, but lots of twisty hills and all black top back roads!

Looked on the atlas, found all the roads except hwy 3. Can you give me an idea where it's at?

Looked on the atlas, found all the roads except hwy 3. Can you give me an idea where it's at?

hwy 3 is the southern trans canada... you hook up to it at the end of either hwy 22 or hwy 2

BTW, do not take 40 all the way down to hwy 3... go over to longview and take 22. You can take 40 but a lot of it is (or was) a dirt road. You'll see on the map where 40 branches off and goes south and 541 goes over to Longview.

Banff & Lake Louise are always busy, winter and summer, but are still well worth visiting. Looking at your travel dates you will get here after the Stampede which means accommodation availability and rates will be back to normal. Stampede is fun time and a unique experience but unless you have a reservation you won't find a motel or hotel within 100 kms of the Calgary.

Lots of great roads and sights to see in this area. Others have touched on a few of them. Hwy 3 is a good one especially once you get into the mountains. 93 to Radium is ok but 93 Radium to castle Junction is a wonderful road. If you are staying in Radium try The Bavaria. Very nice place with decent rates.

If you have the time take 93 all the way to Jasper. Best scenery in the world on that road. Stop at The Columbia Icefields and walk up to the Glacier. Great photo opportunities there.

I see 1a has been mentioned as the prefered route from Banff to Lake louise and I agree. It is the old Trans Canada, designed and built before the engineers learned how to flatten and straighten mountain roads. The speed limits are slow but that is ok because there is lots of wildlife along the road and traffic will just stop if people want to take pictures.

There is a way to see a grizzly without getting too close:

http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/activities/bear/about.asp

Kicking Horse is only a short ride from Banff and the bear refuge is well worth visiting.

On the Alberta side of the mountains Highway 40 is one of our most popular riding roads. It also goes over the Highwood Pass, the highest pass in Canada. 40 will take you on 541 to Longview or vis versa if you are going in the other direction. If you like beef jerky stop at The Jerky Shop in Longview.

Tons of stuff to see in this area. Feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss your route or places to see. If it works out I'd like to ride a few miles with you too.

403-286-2998 Don