IGNORED

any base coat clear coat painters help

bdyohecomcast.net

First question, are the stripes tape on or painted? if they are taped you are better off not to clear over them as over time they shrink alittle and when they do that they will make the clear peel off. next were is the scratch? and is it in a spot were you can blend the clear? Yes you can blend most clears I do it everyday as on some cars when painting a quarter panel or something you have to because the ins co will not pay you to paint the roof and go over to other quarter. What kind of clear are you useing? If its a good quality clear that is catilized you can or should be able to blend it and buff it in but if you havent done it its not something most just can do off the bat so you will get a nicer job clearing the whole bag. With the stuff I use (dupont) I sand the are I am clearing with 1000 grit sand paper as you dont want anything shiny so the paint will stick then make sure you use a wax and grease remover to clean it good so you dont get fish eyes and the paint sticks. Read the directions on what ever you are using and follow them and just take your time. Feel free to pm me or put a post on here if you have a question and I will help all I can. Good luck!!

Here is how I blend and I have had good results. This is of course after the damaged area has been repaired:

Wet sand an area larger than the area you want to blend with 1000 grit sandpaper. Wash with water, simple green and scrub with a green scotchbrite pad....or use wax and grease remover. Be careful not to touch the area you are going to paint so the oils on your skin won't come off on the paint surface. Let surface dry from the through washing overnight. Mix paint according to instructions and spray a coat over the repair area only. Don't go spraying very far away from repair. Wait about 10 minutes and put a second coat on. At this point you should be getting pretty good coverage in that you can barely see through the paint to see the repair area. Add a little thinner to the paint and spray a 3rd coat on. Make sure the 3rd coat covers a little larger area than previously sprayed. The idea is to blend the paint to an area that wasn't repaired as you add coats and thined paint. If you have good coverage, (meaning you can't see the repair anylonger) you can stop with the paint. If not, add another coat. Most of the time 3 coats is enough but sometimes it may take 4 coats. Mix clear according to instructions and spray clear on being sure to cover an area slightly larger than the painted area. I usually do 2 coats of clear and then add a little thinner and spray a final coat of clear that is a little large than the previously area sprayed. Then I let everything dry for 4 or 5 days. Then I wet sand the edges of the clear with 1000 grit sand paper to blend the clear with the original clear. You can also sand out any trash that might have gotten in the clear. When I have it good and blended in with the sandpaper, I let it dry and buff with medium grit buffing compound using an electric buffer and a lambs skin pad. Then I buff with finnessit and a foam pad.

Everybody does it a little different. Take ideas form everyone and see what you think would work best for you. Hope this helps!