IGNORED

Don't Drop your Bike!!

craigatcsi

I dropped my 2007 Venture last summer - all the way on the side with both wheels off the ground.

It cost the insurance company 4500 dollars!

I just got the bike back today and she looks wonderful again. I was amazed that the insurance company replaced all scratched parts - fixed nothing. It seems that Yamaha wouldn't release it's paint codes.

So now I have an extra fairing front, Left cowl & Saddle bag & trunk. I even got a new set of highway pegs because you can't buy just the left one. Though the parts are scratched some.

I'm sure glad for insurance!

craigr

I only have the outer skin of the fairing. I am thinking about taking it somewhere and having a mural or flag or ??? painted on it. I have a nephew that is AWSOME at art, but I can't convince him to try my air brush. I'm hoping that he could try something on the fairing.

The rest of the stuff I plan to sell off to try to recoup my deductible.

I don't know about the footpegs yet. the old ones are only scratched some, I may try to find a way to make a 2nd foot position with them, if not, I wil sell them. VERY SMALL scratches, but I'm sure they would rust if left unpolished. Same for the crashguard.

other than the fairing and the lower part of the left saddlebag, they are all very small scratches. I figured I would see what they are going for on the web and undercut it enough to get rid of the stuff quick.

Give me a few days and I will post what I want to sell and the prices. I figure what I can't sell, I will stick in the attic of the garage - they don't cost me anything to sit.

craigr

I figure what I can't sell, I will stick in the attic of the garage - they don't cost me anything to sit.

craigr,

If you end up with some parts that you cant sell, I would like to ask you to check out the free parts exchange section listed in the tech section.

Anyone who has extra parts laying around can help others out.

Here is the link:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15244

People fuss and cuss the insurance companies for charging 300.00 per year for insurance. It doesn't take much to do a lot damage to a motorcycle. At $300.00 per year it will take the insurance company 15 years just to recoup $4,500.00. In addition companies have to deal with uninsured motorist. Last week one of my insureds was stopped at a traffic light and the auto behind him hit him in the rear. He was fortunate not be seriously hurt. The drive that hit him was driving on an expired license with no insurance. Now our company is going to have to pay to repair his bike and pay his medical expense even though he wasn't at fault.

I figure what I can't sell, I will stick in the attic of the garage - they don't cost me anything to sit.

craigr,

If you end up with some parts that you cant sell, I would like to ask you to check out the free parts exchange section listed in the tech section.

Anyone who has extra parts laying around can help others out.

Here is the link:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15244

VERY good idea!!

I have a couple of parts that have scratches, but still look okay at a distance, ie L mirror & Case Guard.

I will keep that in mind.

craigr

Usually, a body shop will charge more in labor to fix a part off a bike then the insurance can buy a new one for, especially when they also have to pay the bike shop to tear the bike down to get all the damaged parts off.
I've had a trunk wing and Wagner Grille painted with Color Rite's Black Cherry. Pre-painted parts are no where near that much more expensive. If you can get the part in the color you want. I couldn't.:confused24:

Anyway I was just pointing out a source of paint that's a perfect match. I've read claims that this is the OEM supplier, but I don't actually know it that's true.