IGNORED

Best Battery Charger/Maintainer

BigBoyinMS

Since the battery on my Venture has been failing on me lately I decided that it's time to look into a battery maintainer. I've always heard of the BatteryTender but I'm one who will spend the time to verify what's good and find the best and/or the best value. I found one that I like better according to all the reviews and options.

A company called VDC Electronics has a product called the BatteryMinder Plus that has more features (mainly it will also desulfate the plates in a wet battery) and will work with 4 batteries at once.

It is model 12117. 1.33 amp. When you register it they will send you a battery condition tester also. Northerntool has them at the best price I have seen. $39.99 and about $8.00 shipping.

I ordered 2 locally today. Hope they are as good as they say they are!

just go to local Auto parts store, buy a charger that has a 2 amp and 6 amp rate. With an Amp Meter on it so you can monitor the Current Draw.

If your battery is a " SEALED UNIT ", hold it up to a very Bright light and try to determine if the Fluid Level is Still " Above " the plates,

(( IF not above the plates, you need a new battery ))

Do you know how old the battery is ? If over 3 to 4 years, most likley you need a new One.

If you can add fluid, ( ie. it has 6 caps ) be sure to use Distilled Water.

I picked up a smart charger from West Marine, and I have seen them at Sam's Club. It's a 2-20-15 charger, and it will diagnose problems with an error code read out. It looks different with an older style case, but is very similar in function to the Black and Decker at $50 bucks. It will only charge a battery at the rate it will absorb. So even though you have it set on 10amps it will charge at the lesser rate. It also gives you a charger that you can use with the car battery.

http://bdonlinestore.com/imagesEdp/p56312b.jpg