IGNORED

question water pump

is it possible for a bad water pump to seep very small amount of oil into the cooling system. it is weeping water from the weep hole in the cover . i believe i had about 1/16th film in my over flow bottle. ant info would be appreciated. thanks lee

I believe there's an air gap between the two sides of the pump, and that is where the weep hole drains from. It could leak oil or coolant, but it would be difficult for one pass into the other.

If it's leaking out the weep hole underneath the pump, it's time to rebuild. Coolant can make for a slippery tire-contact surface if it leaks too much.

If you think there's oil in the coolant, you would see coolant in the oil, too. This is a noticeable by a white-ish accumulation in the crankcase. Look at the inside of the filler plug, for example. Also, pull the air cleaner and see if there's any goop accumulating in the air box. These are head gasket leakage indicators, generally. I hope not.

It's hard to say about what was in the overflow. My tank is not the cleanest thing in the world. My pump was original and the plastic pump vane was cracked near the spindle. The new ones are cast aluminum.

Rick at Buckeye Performance helped me organize all the parts so it was a straightforward job to overhaul the pump.

Good luck, Andy