IGNORED

BuddyRich - Can you make adapter for J&M?

OutKast

I have your adapter to use Zumo on my venture, and it works great!!! Can you make something similar for the J&M CB unit on Mamma's bike? The J&M already has an auxiliary input jack, but no way to talk back to the device, same as the factory unit on Venture.

To use anything other than a music player, you have to buy a $270 "integrator" plus another $150 "adapter" for each device you want to integrate. My understanding is the integrator's purpose is just to prioritze all the devices so only one is talking at a time.

But the two ways I would like to use it would be only one "mixed" use device at a time, with the device providing it's own internal prioritization.

Option one. We can currently plug her cell with internal MP3 right onto the stereo aux male plug provided, and listen to music and hear the phone ring. Since her phone has speech capability, she can hear it say "Call From Bubba". She can answer and hear me talk. This adapter would be something like a standard 3.5 stereo female on one end, and a male "triple" 3.5 one the other end with the mike signal tied into the extra contact.

Option two - Mounting my zumo on her bike. Similar to your current adapter.

The big change: Both our headsets are "dual-mode" type mikes. Tied to a factory unit on goldwing or venture, it is a 5 wire setup and the mike operates "dynamic". But when I change to her bike, I switch to a 6 wire lower cord and the mike operates "pre-amplified". So , my limited electronics assumes you would need to do something different inside your "magic" pvc tube so the mike output is at the proper power.

If you can make the Zumo adapter, then I think for her cell phone I would need just an adapter to plug the 3.5 stero output and 2.5 mike input into one end, and have the common 3.5 male triple on the other end to plug into her phone.

If you can make this, mine is free since my idea, huh? Maybe?

Let me know what other info I can provide to help if you are willing to try!

Edited by OutKast

Buddy I wasted about 5 weeks trying to do this for a fellow Harley rider who also rides an 1100 once in awhile. Lives down the street. The mix not only prioritizes but it amplifies the signals.

If I'm understanding this situation correctly then the problem is going to be amplifing the mic signal and mathing it to the mix circuit and phone.

I may not be understanding what he wants but it sound very similar.

I make interface cables for Harleys, switched an unswitched but I won't sell one to any Venture rider because you do.

I have made J&M interface headset cords to allow one to use the Zumo on bikes without Radio's.

And I had the guys bike and phone in my Garage to work on it for 3 weeks.

Good luck to you if you try it.

Pilot - I do know that there is a difference in the way the mike operates on the J&M vs Venture. As stated the 5 pin venture cable operates the mike in "dynamic" mode, while on the 6 pin cable when connected to the J&M the extra wire "pre-amps" the mike. The Harley uses an 8pin setup, do not know why.

So, I do not know if the mike output power is the same on both systems, but I assume since it is "pre-amp" on the J&M that it is a stronger signal.

Buddy, I do not know the pinouts, but have both the 5 pin cable and 6 pin, and both have identical 8 pin connectors at the top. Can I just use a continuity test and follow them up the 5 pin cable, then back down the 6 pin?

I have an electrical tester. Is there a way I can check the power output of the mike on the J&M for you to compare with the mike output on the Venture? or does this matter?

Pilot - I do know that there is a difference in the way the mike operates on the J&M vs Venture. As stated the 5 pin venture cable operates the mike in "dynamic" mode, while on the 6 pin cable when connected to the J&M the extra wire "pre-amps" the mike. The Harley uses an 8pin setup, do not know why.

So, I do not know if the mike output power is the same on both systems, but I assume since it is "pre-amp" on the J&M that it is a stronger signal.

Buddy, I do not know the pinouts, but have both the 5 pin cable and 6 pin, and both have identical 8 pin connectors at the top. Can I just use a continuity test and follow them up the 5 pin cable, then back down the 6 pin?

I have an electrical tester. Is there a way I can check the power output of the mike on the J&M for you to compare with the mike output on the Venture? or does this matter?

Harley use a 7 pin configuration. You are correct in that the extra wire is to pre-amp the mic. And that's where I ran into the problem. The mic on Harleys (if they use the Harley setup) is a J&M very high output microphone made just for Harley setups. The mic has so much gain that it was overriding the input circuits and making voice communication quality very bad. I was also affraid of blowing the phone's input circuits.

You may not have these same problems. I just wanted to give you a heads up on possible blowing your phone input circuit.

Good luck with it, if one does not try one will never know.

Jim