IGNORED

head light technical "Stuff"

I had the "dim low beam" issue which most of you say is likely the CM or maybe the switch. The shop "fixed" this by putting a jumper in the system. If I read the wiring diagram in the service manual correct, the jumper is connected to the headlight wires (G/R and Y/G) and taps into the headlight switch on the switch side (Y and G) The indicator light, which was partially on before is now off, but the CM warning light is on. I haven't fully disected the connector, but it appears they did not disconnect and re-route, but merely added a secondary pathway. I'm not sure why this would cause a fault on the CM as I didn't have one before. Since I've got everything apart I'm planning on pulling the CM and re-soldering it and then pull the jumper. Hopefully that will get rid of the flashing warning.

Yes a resolder of the board should fix the problem the reason that you have an indicator light now is that they jumpered only 2 of the 4 wires and it is showing a false problem.

It is an easy fix just make sure you resolder all of the pins while you are in the CM some times after fixing the headlight warning the brake warning like to show up so do all of them and you will avoid that particular problem.

Jeff

I believe the tail turn signals should be on along with the tail light?

They are not wired that way from the factory But I have added some led light rings to my 83 as well as Clay18s so the turn signals are both running and blinker lights at the same time.

Give me a call if you need any technical info 9196735095

Jeff

The RLU / CMS system senses the electrical load of the headlight. When it burns out, the load disappears and trips the system. When they installed the bypass wire, it handles the bulk of the load for the headlight. So, even thought your light is on, the system thinks it's off so the warning comes on. It may also be turning on hi beam (which is what it does when lo burns out), in which case both of your beams would be on at the same time.

Jeremy

The RLU / CMS system senses the electrical load of the headlight. When it burns out, the load disappears and trips the system. When they installed the bypass wire, it handles the bulk of the load for the headlight Meaning that even with a repaired CMU it will continue to show a fault as long as the bridge is in place?? So, even thought your light is on, the system thinks it's off so the warning comes on. It may also be turning on hi beam (which is what it does when lo burns out), in which case both of your beams would be on at the same time.

Jeremy

Had one broken solder point, just haven't had time to re-install. Thanks for the info!