IGNORED

4 Way Flashers..........

I have the 4 Way Flashers on my 06 Venture and would like to know the electrical load limit on this set-up.

A LEO friend of mine gave me 4 mini-amber strobes and I'd like to tie these into the 4 Way Flasher wiring. The mini-strobes pull .5 amps each for a total of 2 amps.

If I can do this I won't have to install a separate switch just for the mini-strobes.

I don't know the exact capacity of the current circuit, but I suspect that would work.

HOWEVER, I suggest something a bit different. The 4-way flashers on our bikes are stupidly designed to ONLY work with the ignition key in the ON position. So if you need to have them on while your bike is stopped, say goodbye to your battery before long (lights will be on too).

I hooked my strobes into an auxiliary circuit that is hot while the key is in the AUX position. Still have to leave the key in the bike, but at least I can have them flash without leaving the headlight on. If I do want to use them with the 4-ways, it is just one extra switch. But there is still another benefit to NOT running them together: With your flashers on, you cannot use your turn signals. If you have the option of running the strobes alone, you still have turn signals. Just a couple of thoughts for you. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I don't know the exact capacity of the current circuit, but I suspect that would work.

HOWEVER, I suggest something a bit different. The 4-way flashers on our bikes are stupidly designed to ONLY work with the ignition key in the ON position. So if you need to have them on while your bike is stopped, say goodbye to your battery before long (lights will be on too).

I hooked my strobes into an auxiliary circuit that is hot while the key is in the AUX position. Still have to leave the key in the bike, but at least I can have them flash without leaving the headlight on. If I do want to use them with the 4-ways, it is just one extra switch. But there is still another benefit to NOT running them together: With your flashers on, you cannot use your turn signals. If you have the option of running the strobes alone, you still have turn signals. Just a couple of thoughts for you. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks for the info Goose.

I do not want to lose the turn signal capability. Nor do I want to tie the strobes into the bike switch.I will hook the mini-strobes up with their own switch and independent of any other electrical system on the bike. With all 4 strobes wired together I should be safe with a 3amp in-line fuse and power the strobes right from the battery.