IGNORED

Ignition issues

krp41151

Here is the question, I have a 2002 road star warrior that was purchased after some modifications. I have had several electrical issues that I believe can be traced back to a grounding cable that was replaced. That issue is resolved but now I need to know about grounding of the ignition switch. The previous owner installed the switch on the plastic air intake cover, where it is hidden from view. There does not seem to be a grounding wire except in the switch itself. My battery (which is new) drains down after about 12 - 16 hours. Does there need to a ground to the switch itself since it is installed in plastic.

As a general rule of thumb, most ignition Switches take 12V In and distrubte the voltage to the Ignition System, and the Items that work in the Accessory Position of the Switch.

I just looked at the Schematic for a 1st Gen Venture. There are NO " B " black wires shown going TO or From the Switch.

If you have a Service Manual, check the Schematic for your bike.

Look for any " B " wires hooking to the Switch unit, but I doubt there are any.

IF-- Everything on the bike is working OK, at present, then don't worry about it. But you might consider makeing some kind of Metal Support, to re-mount the Switch if you intend to leave it where its mounted. Mounting that thing on Plastic is probably not the best of ideas.

I'm thinking some kind of a metal backing Plate to strengthen the PVC plastic would be a good idea. Or, put it back were its supposed to be mounted.

I don't think i've seen a Ground Wire on a Main Switch ever. Except for lightening the Top of the Switch or the Keyway on a Honda Years ago.

I have not seen a Warrior, but i doubt they need a Ground or Black Wire at the Main Switch.

To find the Culprit on your Bike, wire a DMM in DC Mode and selected for reading Current into the ground Wire between Battery Post and Cable. Undo all Fuses and then watch the DMM while inserting them one after another. You should be able to see the Current rising massively with that Drain Rate on your Bike. Now that you find the the Fuse you can check the Circuits related to the Fuse and one by one narrow that Creep down.

Did previous Owner, Add, Anything Electrical to the Bike ??

Horn, radio, running lights, wireing for GPS, Wireing for heated vest, wireing for heated hand grips, etc etc. (( Whatever He Added !! ))

IF so, find the Fuse that should have been installed for the new equipment and REMOVE the Fuse,

INSPECT EVERY INCH OF ANY ADDED WIREING !!!!!

IF there IS NO added Fuse, then Disconnect the Added Accessory, and Re Wire it correctly, with a Fuse and a Relay.

Now recheck for Excess Current Draw, or battery going dead.