IGNORED

Clutch question? Slipping or catching? Vibration?

Guest ksiceman

Guest ksiceman

I have a 2000 RSV and have noticed that when doing my low speed maneuvers I can slip the clutch to a certain point then it suddenly grabs. Is this a spring issue or time to replace clutch plates? It seems to grab more when it is hot vs. when it is colder.

I have also noticed when I am at50-60 mph and trying to accelerate I get a lot of what feels like chatter. Maybe it is just a lack of torque, but in order to get any acceleration I have to shift down. The chatter or vibration is so bad it shakes the entire bike. I am thinking about doing a Barnett clutch and springs just to "fix" something, but thought I would check with the experts first.

The bike has 30k on it and the previous owner did have a trailer hitch installed on it. Not sure how much abuse it got, but until I got it the bottoms of the floorboards were virgin. I am guessing I work the clutch more doing tight maneuvers than the previous owner would have done pulling a trailer.

Guest ksiceman

I have seen both spring replacement products discussed on the forum. Does anyone have experience with both? Is one better than the other? My first thought is to go with the barnett because it uses multiple springs which may eliminate grabbing? Is that a good theory?

Not to sure on the clutch but I can tell you if want acceleration at 50-60 you will need to downshift. 5th gear is a over drive gear and wont likely pull away from a turtle!

The bike likes to rev so dont feel shy about letting her do that the rev limiter will stop you from doing any harm.

Also if you continue to get the shake rattle vibration...maybe your carbs need synching.

Guest ksiceman

Thanks, I have heard carb sync twice now. I know the clutch is slipping so I will address that, and when I do the winter tune up I will have the carbs checked. Thanks!