IGNORED

Saturday's FIRE in Sylmar, CA

Servicedog

By now I am sure that everyone has heard on the news about the "FIRE" this past weekend that started in Sylmar, CA. We are all okay and the dogs are okay. We (5/6 staff members) came in around 1:30 AM Saturday morning and evacuated 69 dogs around 2:30 AM. We loaded up 6 vans with dogs in crates, on tie-downs (and a couple riding in the passenger seats..smile) and went to the Wal-Mart Shopping center in Santa Clarita, CA (which is about 9-10 miles north of the center through the Newhall Pass). The air was clear and we were able to walk, water and exercise the dogs. Around 7:00 AM, local puppy raisers started arriving to help with the walking of the dogs. Around 9:00 AM we decided to see if we could place the dogs in puppy raiser homes locally (throughout the Los Angeles greater area) so our Puppy Manager who was home sick in bed got up and started calling people. We arranged to meet at the Rose Bowl to place the dogs. To get there, we had to drive through Santa Clarita the back way up through Palmdale, CA out the 138 highway to the I-15, south to the I-210 back to the Rose Bowl. So, to get to what would have been a 45 minute drive to the Rose Bowl, turned into about a 2 ½ hour drive. When we got to the Rose Bowl, there was over 90 puppy raisers there to take dogs. By that time we had about 47 dogs left to place as the Santa Clarita group took 12. I can't believe how fast the puppy raisers mobilized and came to our aid. What HEROs. Anyway, the kennels, dorm and admin building received no damage other than ash accumulation and the smell of smoke.

To give you an idea of how close the fires were, the Mobile Home Park that burned to the ground is about 1.25 miles from the school to the west, the hospital that was evacuated and lost some outbuildings is about ½ mile north of the school. At some points burning tree limbs were flying past staff members as we loaded dogs. The winds exceeded 70 miles per hour.

I must say it was an "exciting" time. At any rate, we are all safe and appreciate the help from everyone.

Chuck Jordan

Director of Programs

Guide Dogs of America

cjordan@GuideDogsofAmerica.org

(818) 833-6453 Direct line & FAX

Actually, the dogs were not in the lest upset, to them it was just getting into the vans to go training. They actually were excited because they don't normally go out at night. So, all in all, it was just us humans than understood the potential disaster.........dogs are so adjustable to what is happening. As long as they get good food, good loving, they're happy..........hmmmmmmmmmm........sounds kind of like a GUY!!