Hi,

I need to consult with an engine expert for my '84 standard, have we got any in the house?

I have some engine misfiring going on. It has just started again today but late last year I had it happen at about the same time my stator coil failed. I fixed the stator got back full system volts and all had been good, till today. I figured the misfires were caused by a CDI not getting full volts.

When it happens, I feel a slight drop in power in the seat of my pants and I see a quick dip on the tach. I think I read somewhere that cyl #2 is the one that the tach signal is derrived from. Have I got this right? Can I take this as a clue that cyl #2 is my offender?

The other clue is that this seems to happen as the engine is warming up. Once I have gone a few miles, the misfires seem to go away. This makes me think it might be a connection issue somewhere that makes better contact as things warm up. My question of course is where to start looking?

I fear that this might be a CDI problem. I understand there is someone around who rebuilds / repairs them. Who is that and what does "rebuild / repair" actually mean?

Just in case and for diagnostic purposes, I have just bought a CDI on ebay. Might be useful.

BTW, I am still loosing a little coolant too and its still a mystery where its going. Could be a head gasket but I am not convinced. I suspect the crankcase vent system myself.

She just rolled over 42,600 miles today. I know it sounds like she has a lot of problems but she runs great for the mostpart and I really like the old gal. I don't have much $ invested and I like to do the work myself so even if I have to take her to pieces & put her back together again, its OK by me if I can make the fix. I'd like to figure it all out first before I go in.

So, bring on the sage advice.

Thanks,

Brian H.

Hi,

I need to consult with an engine expert for my '84 standard, have we got any in the house?

I figured the misfires were caused by a CDI not getting full volts.

When it happens, I feel a slight drop in power in the seat of my pants and I see a quick dip on the tach. I think I read somewhere that cyl #2 is the one that the tach signal is derrived from. Have I got this right? Can I take this as a clue that cyl #2 is my offender?

The other clue is that this seems to happen as the engine is warming up. Once I have gone a few miles, the misfires seem to go away. This makes me think it might be a connection issue somewhere that makes better contact as things warm up. My question of course is where to start looking?

I fear that this might be a CDI problem. I understand there is someone around who rebuilds / repairs them. Who is that and what does "rebuild / repair" actually mean?

Just in case and for diagnostic purposes, I have just bought a CDI on ebay. Might be useful.

BTW, I am still loosing a little coolant too and its still a mystery where its going. Could be a head gasket but I am not convinced. I suspect the crankcase vent system myself.

So, bring on the sage advice.

Thanks,

Brian H.

It can be connection problems, but these also can get moisture in them. You can pull the tci unit out, bake it at about 110 degrees for a couple of hours. I have previously done this, after removing the cover to allow for the best venting, while baking. The tci can be a real pain to remove, due to mounting location.

As for the coolant, there is a weep hole on the underside of the waterpump. Maybe a seal is starting to leak a bit, it would be a good idea to check if the impeller is the older plastic one (which cracks near the shaft) or the metal replacement.

A few more item's,

Use Electrical contact cleaner on the TCI Plug Pins.

Drain the fuel tank, might be some water bottom of tank.

Run some HEET in the gas.

Drain, all four Carb Bowls, each one has a drain hose, and

Phillips head screw to open the drain.

Also, run Sea-Foam in the fuel a couple of tanks.

Have you ever worked on your plug wires?? Screw them out from

each Ing coil, and Trim off about 1/4 inch, also do this on each plug

cap. Maby bad connect here.

Well I had a spare TCI that I was going to let people use and keep if it worked OK but then I sent it to a guy who needed it, who then then decided that he would just keep it without sending back his old one.

Just all our luck that the guy I send it to is nothing but a deadbeat thief.

This is him

====================

Matt Hayes

231A State Route 180

Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

(740) 703 - 9936

phayes85947@roadrunner.com

=======================

We all lose out with this turkey!!!

db

:stirthepot:

Don,

I've tried to help but don't know what else to do. I've tried calling and got a machine and left my number. I've tried emailing and even told him that if it is a financial issue, I would pay the shipping. He has not responded to any of my emails. I must emailed him again to let him know that I would be in that area in a few weeks and would come by his house one evening to see if we can get this resolved.

Couple of other items you might check.

With + Battery cable disconnected check for excessive resistance accross the main 40 amp fuse. ( two small screws hold the fuse element in place, they are know to come loose )

Also check for resistance thru the Ignition Sw, On-Off contacts that send voltage to the Br wire to the left side of the " Ing fuse. "

check your fuse Holder for makeing good contact to the fuse.

High resistance at any of these points will drop the voltage to the Ing coil Primary windings.

One more item, Check for high Resistance Across the Red, " Run - Stop " switch on the right handle bar.

They have been know to become high resistance, and OR Intermittant .

Well I had a spare TCI that I was going to let people use and keep if it worked OK but then I sent it to a guy who needed it, who then then decided that he would just keep it without sending back his old one.

Just all our luck that the guy I send it to is nothing but a deadbeat thief.

This is him

====================

Matt Hayes

231A State Route 180

Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

(740) 703 - 9936

phayes85947@roadrunner.com

=======================

We all lose out with this turkey!!!

db

I sure hope this guy doesn't go by the name partpuppy on ebay!

Thanks for the tips gang, I'll check out the items suggested & let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Brian H.