IGNORED

Quick Release saddlebags

I had the same problem with 2 bolts on one bag and worked the vise grips. Just put the grip right up against the bag and make it as tight as you can. All you need is a slight turn and it loosens. It slipped off a couple of times but persistence paid off and now it won't happen again. Also try grinding your allen wrench down since it will be rounded off from the stripped head of the bolt. This helped me on a couple other bolts.

Bob

Ya know, sometimes I get tired of reliving my tag line: "Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid".

So, I'm thinking about all your suggestions on how to remove these allen bolts and then, bing, I remember that I had purchased several sets of screw extractors, on a whim, for 2008 Christmas gifts!

After 15 minutes of hunting to relocate this little tool, it took me all of 10 minutes to remove all 3 stripped allen bolts. Great little tool, worked as advertised.

Here's the link:

http://www.getgrabit.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

FYI, I only paid about $10 per set, but I don't remember where/how I found them, probably from the TV ad.

Thanks for all your tips! I installed the remaining new quick release bolts, they are awesome.

Very similar compared to the black and decker set I bought. Only you have to use your own drill bit w/ the set I bought.

I like how they showed in the video, use one side to round out the area, flip it over and screw comes right out. Also looks like you don't have to hit it w/ a hammer either to get it to grab.

Glad you were able to get them out.

I had the problem of the bolts not going all the way in. Just take the longer bolt, and screw it in and it will clear out any trash in the threads...:Venture:

Nope, didn't have that problem. They all went in very nicely.

Pretty slick little upgrade I have to say. Now, when the wife has her Bunko friends over next week, I can hide in the garage, pop off the saddle bags and clean her up nicely!

Hmmm, might even lower the front end then too, anything to avoid 15 screaming women....

:Im not listening to

I am not sure about this set. I just purchased a set and was unable to use half of the bolts, because the thread did not go far enought for it to tighten properly. I am using half the quick release and half of the original Hex bolts on both side bags.

:255:

just got a set the other day. did the same thing,wouldn't go all the way in. all I had to do was [chase the threads.] worked great after that.