IGNORED

Rear brake pedal

Guest ronkena

Guest ronkena

I would like to extend the rear brake pedal forward on my '86 as my legs are long and when I need to press on brake I have to lift my leg to get to it. Any extension kits? Has anyone else had this problem?

Can you simply move the lever down? There are adjustment threads for this.

I cannot say that I have had this problem, but your best solution would be to find a reputable welder in your area. Ask around, you want someone with a Heliarc or TIG welder.

Have them cut your shifter lever and weld it back together with a longer piece of metal in the middle. If you don't want to cut your lever, I have an 86 lever in my garage I can dig up.

The pedal has a stop bolt with a lock nut which can make the adjustment you're looking for.

When changing this position you'll need to adjust the throw of the master cylinder rod, adjustable from behind the pedal on the linkage. There should be a slight gap before the pushrod begins to compress the master cylinder, not riding directly on the master cylinder piston.

Lastly, check the brake light adjustment and make sure that it comes on when the pedal is pushed, allowing for some freeplay before the light turns on, but prior to making much pressure on the master cylinder. All three bits work in unison.

Double check everything... this is how my '84 is setup anyway. There should be enough adjustment there to meet your requirements. If you're thinking of adjusting the footpegs, do that first and make sure they're right where you like 'em.

Andy

I would like to extend the rear brake pedal forward on my '86 as my legs are long and when I need to press on brake I have to lift my leg to get to it. Any extension kits? Has anyone else had this problem?

Look around and locate a brake pedal assembly off an '83-'85 VR. The early adssemblies have an adjustment for moving the pedal farther forward in relation to the peg, and they are interchangeable. They discontinued that feature on '86 and newer VR's. That should solve your problem.....