IGNORED

Speedo glass

StarFan

Hi guys and girls.

Have a problem that I was interested in knowing if any of you had ever tackled. I have a Royal Star Tour Classic 1998 with the speedometer on the gas tank. The are some kind of dried up spots on the inside of the glass covering the meter and it really annoyes me (the warden says I am insanely picky to say the least). Have been looking at replacing the glass but before I do this I wanted to know if any of you guys had ever done this. At Yamaha´s spare part list the glass is not listed seperately but I could easily have the glass made. Then again - maybe this is not supposed to be interchangeable and Yamaha wants you to buy a new speedo if the glass brakes for example?

Another thing that has crossed my mind is to change the speedo to the digital 2005 Tour Deluxe old Buick style. Don´t know if this is possible but maybe some of you could enlighten me. The speedo being placed on the tank makes it a little akward to look at since one has to look down and therefore off the road and traffic and in my eyes that is something that increases risk of ending up in a accident or rear ending the vehicle in front. God knows that motorcyclists need all the attention and alertness possible in todays traffic.

Hope that some of you can help me on this issue and any advice or info is greatly appreciated. Just don´t tell me to get myself a newer bike with the original speedo on the handlebar. Really love my bikes (two 1998 Tour Classics) for the color and that vintage look and I am not about to get another one in the near future - Well - maybe a Venture next spring if the Warden slackens her administration and alertness,,,,,,,,,:whistling:

Hi guys and girls.

Have a problem that I was interested in knowing if any of you had ever tackled. I have a Royal Star Tour Classic 1998 with the speedometer on the gas tank. The are some kind of dried up spots on the inside of the glass covering the meter and it really annoyes me (the warden says I am insanely picky to say the least). Have been looking at replacing the glass but before I do this I wanted to know if any of you guys had ever done this. At Yamaha´s spare part list the glass is not listed seperately but I could easily have the glass made. Then again - maybe this is not supposed to be interchangeable and Yamaha wants you to buy a new speedo if the glass brakes for example?

Another thing that has crossed my mind is to change the speedo to the digital 2005 Tour Deluxe old Buick style. Don´t know if this is possible but maybe some of you could enlighten me. The speedo being placed on the tank makes it a little akward to look at since one has to look down and therefore off the road and traffic and in my eyes that is something that increases risk of ending up in a accident or rear ending the vehicle in front. God knows that motorcyclists need all the attention and alertness possible in todays traffic.

Hope that some of you can help me on this issue and any advice or info is greatly appreciated. Just don´t tell me to get myself a newer bike with the original speedo on the handlebar. Really love my bikes (two 1998 Tour Classics) for the color and that vintage look and I am not about to get another one in the near future - Well - maybe a Venture next spring if the Warden slackens her administration and alertness,,,,,,,,,:whistling:

A GPS gives you speed and a lot more. Just a thought.

Ride safe , Bob

A GPS gives you speed and a lot more. Just a thought.

Ride safe , Bob

Thanks Bob.

The Zumo 550 will be on the bike when I come over to USA next spring. Will have to have it for finding my ways around New York, Pensylvania, Ohio and Illinois. The speedo is more of an "should be there" thing. Three options only in my opinion:

1. Find a way to change the glass.

2. Customize the bike by finding a way and attaching the "old Buick style" speedo from the 2005 and newer Tour Deluxe.

3. Get a new 1998 speedo for the bike (don´t like that - rather have the spotted glass than going through the hazzle and money of getting a new from the dealer).

So - there must be someone out there that has given this a thought.