IGNORED

Why we do what we do???

calperin

With few exceptions, most humans have an inborn need to belong. To something; to someone, to share and be accepted complete with all their warts, preferably without a lot of preconditions. Witness your team sports, chess clubs, book clubs, bands, boyscouts, etc.

Motorcyclists have a need to express their strong sense of individuality, independence and their overiding need for freedom. Riding fills the senses with many of the things that make life fun and worthwhile, as opposed to mundane and humdrum. There are other worthwhile things, mind you,...family, kids, grandkids, growing things, building with wood, etc., but they all lack the freedom and the sensations riding offers. And no, that dosn't say that those things are mundane and humdrum. They just don't deliver that visceral feeling we all know so well and love AND need so much.

Now, combine the two and you have the potential for an irresistible force of nature in the form of a riders club or in this case club/forum. You have the bikes themselves as the catalyst....sharing information, experiences, etc. But this place IS unique because the members are special and unique! If I believed in coincedence, I would say it came about by accident. Truth is.....It doesn't matter! This group exists and is comprised of people who actually give a rip about their fellow man and prove their belief in (at a minimum) the "Golden Rule" and happen to love motorcycles. They implicitly understand that you can't go through life alone! They exemplify the best qualities of giving without reservation; their time, their space, their experience, abilities and sometimes their money and their possessions. AND always..their faith/prayer, emotion and friendship.

I too came to learn about my bike, but quickly discovered Ventureriders.org is not your run of the mill, typical bike forum. These people are the way I try to be. I value and appreciate them and for me personally, that's plenty enough reason to stay. (besides, anybody that likes Dairy Queen can't be all that bad!) :thumbsup2:

OK, I have the proverbial fork stuck in me, so I am done! That helped me understand better, hope it helps the young lady!

I joined looking for information about a basket case i had recently acquired and been hanging around since. was out of touch for a bit with my son in the hospital with a diseases I nor my wife had heard of, Transverse Myelitis. when my new family here found out where I was a fellow I met here came by the hospital where we were, a short 450 mile jaunt, he was kinda in the neighborhood though but still a hella nice nice guy, the VR family has helped us out in a lot of ways, with this help and others we are going to be OK. My son said the other day he will ride again but is waiting for 2 wheels. I had helped others in the past and never really thought a lot about it, that changed I know how needing help badly even if is only for someone to talk to feels. Don (freebird) is a very special person without him multitudes of people would still be under the idea "there are no good people left in this world" I have friends on the edge of the outlaw motorcycle types they profess this type of camaraderie but its seldom if ever seen. I really believe this group is a one of a kind it is what some other reach for or profess they are.

Hopefully a couple others I have in mind will jot a few words as well.

Guest tessa c2

it's the people on this site, and the friendship that forms as you get to know them, we all share a common link, and the freedom we get when we ride, it must be something that is born into us, and we are just able to uncover this desire,

you look at the members here, there is no certain region, or culture upbringing, might be s hand full of people who have exactly the same type of jobs, the ones that we do problly envey are those who can just get on there bike and ride when ever they want, so it is something greater than that which brings us together:confused24:

If you are asking specifically about this group, I came to learn more about my bike. I stayed to learn more about the people here. Others have posted these feelings with better words than I can come up with.

If you are talking more generally about why bikers often join together in groups, I think the answer is here:

My belief ventures down a different road. Riding a motorcycle involves risk and reward. The risk is to one’s health or even life. The reward is a sense of accomplishment, skill, and excitement that most of the population will never experience. This creates a mystique about us from the vantage point of those who don’t ride; a sense of being special, non-conforming to the masses…and those like us tend to gravitate toward each other because we have this in common. Though we are from all walks of life, it is easy to find camaraderie among those who share the thrill of riding. The same could be said for any group of people who perform some activity that most people will never do. Examples of acting on stage, skydiving, scuba diving, sports in general, law enforcement and even military combat all share different degrees of risk/reward and are seen as “special” by those who do not participate in such activities. Where else do you see strangers giving a casual wave to a passerby while riding, each recognizing the small fraternity and specialness of riding. Naturally, as we find each other and share our experiences (in person or via the web), our bonds grow even stronger and perpetuates the specialness we see in ourselves. The result is strong friendships, wider tolerances (to first gens ;), and selfless generosity.
We accept the risks in order to enjoy the rewards and want to be around others who feel the same.

If you are asking specifically about this group, I came to learn more about my bike. I stayed to learn more about the people here. Others have posted these feelings with better words than I can come up with.

This is the exact same reason I joined. The people here have to be some of the greatest folks I could wish to meet. :thumbsup2: Maybe some day I'll meet some of them. :fingers-crossed-emo

I cannot speak for other motorcycle clubs, but I sure can for this one.

I have opened our home to complete strangers whom I've know only through this site. They have accepted the bed, camper cot, sleeping bag or whatever I could give em to stay dry, warm or sheltered.

Why do I do this? Because the very same thing happened for us. We have visited area's and wanted only to pop in for a coffee and ended up staying for nights. Total "strangers" who gave themselves totally

Were else can someone ask if anyone could pull a small trailer to another spot in the country for them. A whole lot get involved including someone who drove a few hundred miles just to pick it up and then drive a few hundred more miles further away from their home..just because they wanted to help out.

Were can else can you send your buddy a few thousand dollars to hold on to because you're buying a bike and know he will be there with the cash so you can complete the deal!

Or send some more cash and he buys the camper for you, registers it in his name, rewires the dang thing, fixes this and that so I wouldnt have to worry about it later.

Were else can one be told that "the key is under the mat, come in and make yourself at home". This from folks you haven't met yet except on the computer screen.

Were else can one travel pretty much anywere now...and know that there is someone near you that will help you in any way possible should you need it and you will have trouble giving them at least the gas money they spent to do that?

It is a refreshing restoration in my faith in fellow human beings. My biggest regreat with all that I've been through here, is that I cant do enough to return the goods deeds.

Holy cow! That was long winded...wasn't it!!

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot to every one that answer to my request. If my niece has not enough material with this, she will need to change her profession.

I agree with most of the fundamentals here, and as most of you also I joined to learn more about my bike. From that day, I start to learn also about people. When I move

here we lost contact with most of our friends, family, known people, etc...

And different culture some times, make you feel as you are born on another planet. But this group make me find where the other martians are!!!

Thanks a lot again.

A gaucho between cowboys

:smile5:

Hey guys,

And different culture some times, make you feel as you are born on another planet. But this group make me find where the other martians are!!!

:smile5:

Well glad you figured out where we were. We can't make it too easy then everyone will want to join. :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Here's to our fellow Martians!!

Your niece should have an interesting amount of info hope she does well.

Margaret

Guest BluesLover

I joined because I was doing research on how to split the fairing on my 06 RSV, and the search results pointed me in the direction of VentureRider.Org ... the rest is history (they forgot to tell me there were addictive side-effects!!!).

Cheers,

Since I was a kid, never was in step, When they were out playing baseball I was rebuildiing engines, building minibikes, and changing the oil in my dad's car. I was a machinest for ATT for 35 years and guess I feel more comfortable around machines than people. Go figure??? Kenw:smile5: