IGNORED

Carb help

Guest tv4fish

Guest tv4fish

Hi Guys: I think I know the answer to this already, BUT -- I have an '84 Venture that has sat for a while. I DID take off, disassemble and clean as best I could, all 4 carbs. She's back together now, starts right up, but will only run with the choke left on. I have added Sea Foam to the tank and have been running it in hopes that it will work its way through the system and eventually clean out whatever I didn't get. What are my chances that WILL happen? Or if anyone has any other tricks that might work, please chime in. Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys: I think I know the answer to this already, BUT -- I have an '84 Venture that has sat for a while. I DID take off, disassemble and clean as best I could, all 4 carbs. She's back together now, starts right up, but will only run with the choke left on. I have added Sea Foam to the tank and have been running it in hopes that it will work its way through the system and eventually clean out whatever I didn't get. What are my chances that WILL happen? Or if anyone has any other tricks that might work, please chime in. Thanks in advance.

Can be a couple of things. Have you re-adjusted your idle screw to increase the idle? Having the carbs apart from each other they may have been put back together not quite squarely so that the idle screw is no longer in it's original position. # 2 would be if it's not just idling to slowly to idle but is actually to lean, then your idle screws are to tight or the idle air jet or the passages are clogged so as not to be pulling in the correct air fuel mixture.

By the way, you do have the air cleaner in place don't you as these bikes won't run without it in place.

Dick

Guest tv4fish

Thanks for the reply - Yes, I do have the airbox/filter on the bike. I really think the problem is that the pilot circuits did not get completely cleared - I was hoping the Sea Foam will work on them good enough so I don't have to tear the carbs down again ??

Run the Sea-foam real strong and you might have a chance. I did that with one and it worked. I soaked them overnight in a 3/4 Sea-Foam 1/4 gas mix about three times. I was almost sure it was just crud in there and ended up being right. Soak them for about 2 days in as strong a solition as you can get it to run. It might cost you a set of plugs. When you get the Sea-Foam in there pull the plugs and leave them out til you get ready to restart. Seems to make a difference I don't know why.

Guest tv4fish

Yammar: I assume you mean to unhook the tank feed line from the fuel pump to the carbs and plug it and then use a mix of Sea-Foam and gas to feed into the carbs directly and try to run it on that mixture??