IGNORED

MP3's Through Adio System?

Guest dmurphy

Guest dmurphy

Has anybody ever tried to pipe the output from an MP3 Player through the audio system of the Venture?

I would think that you might be able to feed the output from the MP3 Player into the input from the cassette player.

Just imagine a few hundred of your favorite songs, playing through the speakers of the Venture, without fumbling for cassettes.

I look forward to hearing from anybody with Thoughts or Suggestions about this idea.

Thanks,

Dean

jcdas did the work to find out what each pin does and layed it out in detail for us 1st gens. i made one for our bike and plug in the gps, or my mp3 and it works great. make one and you will be happy. i never used the cassette player, so i removed it and use it for storage area, quart of oil, gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen etc.. cheers, Scott

And if you aren't feeling technical enough for the wiring stuff, go grab an FM transmitter. it's what I've always used and it works good... only problem is the extra draw on the electrical.

That's what I'm using as well, an FM transmitter mounted in the cavity where the CB blank cover goes, after removing the square cover plate. Holds the transmitter and my 30G IPOD. As far as electrical draw, those transmitters only draw a fraction of an AMP so don't even worry about it.

I use a belkin tunecast II transmitter - it can run off 12v or 2 AAA batteries. We have tried a bunch of different transmitters and these work and hold up the best for me. My kids are pretty hard on them. I just put the player and transmitter in the trunk. For a player I use a PDA with a 2GB flash card. The PDA is useful for other things, a very small portable computer.

What I use on my 86 is a convertor I got from Radio shack. It looks like a cassette with a cable coming out of it. I just push the convertor into the cassette player and then hook the cable to my MP3 player and works great. Sometimes I have to hit the switch button to change the tape to play the other way to get the music to be clear but I have been using it for four years and love it.

Go to http://www.dl-electronics.com/store/item.php?sku=PH-62050

Check it out.

I use a belkin tunecast II transmitter - it can run off 12v or 2 AAA batteries. We have tried a bunch of different transmitters and these work and hold up the best for me. My kids are pretty hard on them. I just put the player and transmitter in the trunk. For a player I use a PDA with a 2GB flash card. The PDA is useful for other things, a very small portable computer.

Same one I am using! Spent $1.99 at Autozone for a replacement socket and mounted it in the fairing and then plugged the adaptor into that. Ran the cable thru the hole under the plastic blank CB cover and installed a grommet...

By the way, there is a new addition to the Cassette replacement cable method. I think someone else on the site mentioned it. Sorry, Not sure who.

You have to get a Double Pole, Double Throw switch. On one switch, you have the wires that power the radio, just like my original design. On the other switch, on the OPPOSITE contacts, you connect the ground wire from the AUX, and a feed to the ground lug of the 8 pin DIN connector. This eliminates the loading effect that the MP3 device has to the radio audio level. There is still a minor amount of MP3 noise bleed from the effect of the stereo differential, but almost negligible. Ideally what we need is a 5 pole, double throw switch.

One pole for radio on/off

Opposite side throw for..

One pole for Aux ground

One pole for Aux Left

One pole for Aux Right

I made a cable for Paul. See attached picture.

If anyone else is interested, drop me a line and I'll make some up. At the moment, I don't have any spare connectors. I'll have to go to the wholesaler and get a new supply. The 8 pin DIN connectors are not easy to find. I'll have to see if I can find a 5 pole switch, though that would likely be an expensive switch.

Guest Mortch

91nwl--- You must be waiting for me. Yes the edset works. It does not run the the Amps of the Radio or Tape amp.. It adapts to the 5 pin head set plugs or the main plug up front. So your passenger could have her own MP3 Player and you could listen to the radio.. Or You can both listen to the MP3... The Volume works only thru your MP3. NOT the AMPS of the Bike. Hope this helps.. David

91nwl--- You must be waiting for me. Yes the edset works. It does not run the the Amps of the Radio or Tape amp.. It adapts to the 5 pin head set plugs or the main plug up front. So your passenger could have her own MP3 Player and you could listen to the radio.. Or You can both listen to the MP3... The Volume works only thru your MP3. NOT the AMPS of the Bike. Hope this helps.. David

Thanks!