I purposely let my bike run out of fuel on the regular fuel petcock setting. I wanted to see how much fuel it would take. I filled up and noticed it only took 4.3 gallons arent these supposed to be 5.3 gallons with a 1.06 reserve or am I misreading it and the total capacity is 5.3 which includes the 1 gal res? (Though 6 gallons seems like alot for 1990.)

The math is pretty much right on. 4.3 gal plus the 1 you had left equals 5.3 gallons. Sounds right to me.

I purposely let my bike run out of fuel on the regular fuel petcock setting. I wanted to see how much fuel it would take. I filled up and noticed it only took 4.3 gallons arent these supposed to be 5.3 gallons with a 1.06 reserve or am I misreading it and the total capacity is 5.3 which includes the 1 gal res? (Though 6 gallons seems like alot for 1990.)

The math is pretty much right on. 4.3 gal plus the 1 you had left equals 5.3 gallons. Sounds right to me.

My low fuel light usually starts blinking at 140 miles and I fill it back up, usually takes me 3.5 gallons. So I am to understand I have almost another gallon left before I have to flip to reserve? This is good to know.

My guage starts blinking around 160 miles and from there on it's my wife "tapping" me on the shoulder to "remind" me that we are low on gas. Ain't that considerate of her??

Ditto on the shoulder tapping.

Once riding solo I ran it up to 185 before I found a gas station and put 4.5 gal in. Figure I had 20 mile before I was bone dry. Trouble is I don't always get 41 mpg so I can't count on that every time.

When my idiot light starts blinking, I have 1.5 gal left and when it goes solid I have 1 gal left mas o menos.

Iowa Guy