IGNORED

"Primary Oil"

Ken Parker

When changing the oil in the RSV is there something called "primary oil"? Buddies at work discuss canging the oil in the primary. My question is when

I cange the oil in the crankcase is there something additionally that I need to do? I was under the impression that the cluch wae lubed through the standard oil reservior. True or not? Thanks

When changing the oil in the RSV is there something called "primary oil"? Buddies at work discuss canging the oil in the primary. My question is when

I cange the oil in the crankcase is there something additionally that I need to do? I was under the impression that the cluch wae lubed through the standard oil reservior. True or not? Thanks

They probably ride Harleys. There is no separate "primary" on a Venture. When you change the crankcase oil, you are changing all there is as it also lubes the clutch & tranny.

From the old Harley's there is a chain that connects the engine to the transmission. A lot of old bikers use an old primary chain as a belt and handy self defence tool.

There is also a second chain that connects the transmission to the rear wheel.

the first chain is driven first so they called it the Primary chain or drive. In this case there is also the clutch. on the OLD Harley's there was a system that put one drop of engine oil per minute on this chain to oil it. There is a tube that the excess oil actually drips onto the ground under the bike. My 1950 Harley came from the factory this way. this is the reason most people think that all Harley's leak. They drip oil on purpose. Yes you HAD to check the oil at each gas stop or you might run out if the primary oilier is set to drip too much......

On modern Harley's the EPA would NEVER let them drip all that oil, so the primary is enclosed and does not drip oil.

The MAJOR difference between the oiling systems our motors and the motors on Harlie's is ours have the engine, clutch and transmission sharing the same oil. On the Harley's there are three separate oiling systems. I kinda wish that Yamaha had this system too as you can optimize the systems AND you can put Molybdenum Disulphide in the trans and engine to minimize wear and noise, but NOT in the clutch as it would not fully engage.

Also, the RSV primary drive is gears, not a chain or belt.

To further illustrate here is a photo I found on the Internet of a customized Indian motorcycle with an Open primary. Note the chain is replaced with belt and the clutch (the silver thing on the inside of the right hand pulley attached to the transmission) is a DRY clutch as their is no oil. Also IMHO the open primary is a GREAT way to loose a few toes or a foot. not the lack of safety guards.

http://www.bikernet.com/news/images/PhotoID8987.jpg