IGNORED

Kananaskis Country Highwood Pass

bobbyduck

From Highway 1 (Trans Canada Highway) take Highway 40 south through Kananaskis Country and keep going higher through the Pass and finally down to Highway 22 near Turner Valley. Note that this route is only open between June 15th and December 1st. It is very high elevation, you are often looking down at the vegetation line. Awesome scenery! There is a small gas station / convenience store about half way through the ride. :sign outstanding:

Bob LeDuc

Hi Bob. Brenda and I were through there about a month ago. What beautiful country. We continued on through the Crows Nest Pass, down to Whitefish Montana and then through Logan's Pass to Waterton Lakes.

We Manitobans don't get to see this everyday and it's just great when we do get the chance to experience the Rockies.

Cheers

Rod.

• 4 months later...

Having lived in Calgary from 84-92, I made that ride many times as it is probably the best day ride in that area. One time I'd start from the south end and another time from the north end. In either case, I'd find a slightly different route to get to the starting point of Kananaskis Country. One thing to keep in mind and that is it is a very high mountain route and one can hit snow at any time through the summer. Watch the weather forcast first!

:080402gudl_prv:

When I was 10 (1962), I went to High River Alberta with my mom and dad to visit some of my mom's relatives. One of the things that stayed in my memory of that trip was a ride on the Kananaskis Pass. Is that the same as this thread is referring too?

Back then it was a gravel road. We got 1/2 way to where ever it goes and had to turn back due to a huge snow drift in the middle of the road. I've got a picture someplace of my dad and I throwing snow balls at each other on the top of that snow drift. This was in the middle of July.

I'd love to go back out there again and finish that ride on my RSV.

I'd suggest it's the same road; however, it's all paved now ;-). At the south end (if my memory serves me), you can also travel south on hwy 22 through Longview and end up just west of Pincher Creek on hwy 3 (trans canada south). Hwy 22 is paved also. While I lived in the Calgary area, I explored many of those "alternate" routes on my "ride" as well as several of the backroads (on a 4 wheeled vehicle) which were gravel at that time. Pretty awesome country to explore!

• 3 years later...

The ride through Turner Valley Black Diamond, up the little hill by the gas and convenience store facing west.:240::backinmyday:

But you have to take a run down hwy 2a, drive to Nanton,AB. as well then of to the Turner valley. In Nanton there is an Lancaster bomber. also the Cenotaph for the kids who lost their lives in WW2. If you can go a little further to Buffalo-Smash-In -Head, there is where you will find a Blackfoot park that you will knock your socks of or you may want to jump off a cliff(lol). Such wonders in such a small area!! Go enjoy!!

Seek your Adventure

Edited by mrich12000
my bad