IGNORED

Fuel Mileage Thread

Cycle says I'm getting 41.8 MPG after 11.2K miles. This number settled in after being home for a couple of weeks. During a cross country trip the number was about 42.4. Crossed checked across 4 fill-ups and the stated value matched pretty close to what I calculated. Although I ride 90%+ 2-up it's almost exclusively in S mode. Normally 91+ octane, but occasionally less as sometimes I cannot find the higher octanes during our travels. From the posts I've seen here it appears that about a 42 MPG figure seems real, not bad for a cycle this big.

I got 41.9 riding mine home when I bought it. Right at a 300-mile ride. I was in tour mode but it really wouldn't have made any difference because there was no stop and go as it was all Freeway. Due to the break-in, I varied the speed between 65 and 75.

Now, as for those readings. I haven't checked them by manually calculating but I am hearing that just like most all Yamahas and motorcycles in general, these speedometers read high. Probably around 6 - 8 percent. On the RSV, the odometer also read high but not by quiet as much percentage. So we may be geting slightly less MPG than we are calculating.

I haven't confirmed the speedometer error but will do so soon. I'm surprised that it is off because the speedometer and GPS on my '18 read pretty much exactly the same. People who have checked it say that the GPS and Speedometer both have the same error built in. The only way to confirm it will be with my stand alone GPS or my iPhone SpeedBox app. I will do it a couple of different ways.