IGNORED

Just a reminder

ragtop69gs

Personal experience with that problem!!

Yes, Myself and a few others I know. I lost 1 bolt and had another 2 that were loose. You can buy the bolts at any ford dealer. I always keep a few spares in the trunk.

IMG_1745.jpg It's the torx bolts to the right of the u-joint. They are known to come loose, even on ford cars using that rear end.

I got this response from Hannigan Motorsports and thought I'd share it with everyone here.

by Hannigan Motorsports http://www.triketalk.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png

Thanks so much to the OP for pointing out the absolute importance and necessity of proper and thorough PM (Preventive Maintenance). It goes without saying that a proper PM Routine & Regimen is necessary and warranted regarding any Machine. The level of such is directly proportionate to its Longevity and Enjoyment while minimizing unexpected and unfortunate Issues from arising.

To address this specifically named area and Assembly/Parts, it is a Non-Issue and far from any concern at all when the Kit is installed as intended, instructed and trained.

Those Bolts are indeed Ford/Motorcraft and come from the Manufacturer with Red Lock-Tite on the threads. As long as the Red Lock-Tite is present and they are properly torqued to 100 ft/lbs there will not be any issues or mishaps to occur. Should that Red Lock-Tite not be present due to non-OEM Bolts being used (should never be the case) or other such cause, then Installers are instructed to apply it prior to installation and the proper Torque value (again, 100 ft/lbs) is achieved and checked.

In the VERY few Cases where any problem arose in this Assembly or the named Bolts, it can be directly attributed to improper Torque and/or the absence of Red Lock-Tite(inspection of the Bolts themselves quickly and easily prove this Fact) on the threads.

That being said and true, the above Statement of Fact is not meant in any way to be construed as a derogatory judgment against or indictment of any Installer or Client in the least.

In the "real-World", mistakes and oversights do occur even to the best of us. As the Adage goes, "To Err is Human" and we all have regardless of our best intentions and efforts. This unfortunate Fact is one of the main reasons and necessities for conducting proper PM & regular Inspections on all mechanical devices and Machines.

We realize, applaud, and thank the vast majority of our Dealer and Owner Family for their diligence in performing such regularly and being a valued part of and contributor to our long-standing stellar Record & Reputation for both Quality & Longevity among the Trike, Sidecar, and Trailer Communities.

Should anyone suspect this Issue or just wish to insure it is not present, simply pull one of those Bolts (kudos to Ragtop for the Pic above showing them and their location) and check for the presence of Red Lock-Tite on the threads. Reinstall to proper Torque value. Then check all of those Bolts for 100 ft/lbs of Torque. Then, add this Check to your current PM Check-List should it not already be.

Again, we sincerely thank our great Friends RagTop for the valuable Reminder and the opportunity to discuss this with our honored Family here.

John

Hannigan Motorsports

Murray, KY

270-753-4256

hannigan@apex.net

www.hannigantrikes.com