I have an '83 venture that has the left hand muffler end piece just about rusted through. Is it possible to just replace end caps or is it necessary to replace entire muffler? What would bst and easiest replacement be. (I do not really want to increase Db level). I have Jardines on my '90 RSV which are a bit loud, but seem to have misplaced them OEM'S !!

I have an '83 venture that has the left hand muffler end piece just about rusted through. Is it possible to just replace end caps or is it necessary to replace entire muffler? What would bst and easiest replacement be. (I do not really want to increase Db level). I have Jardines on my '90 RSV which are a bit loud, but seem to have misplaced them OEM'S !!

I'd suggest replacing them. Rust outside probably means rust inside. Just make sure you pick up a set that will fit the 83-85 VR. The '86 and up have a different thicker mounting tab.... Have the seller send you pics of that tab to make sure they look like the muffler tab you have. A lot will swear that one size fits all because they really don't know what the 'H' they're talking about....

any possibility of something from Whitney or Kirk fitting?

In the past I'm sure there were quite a few companies making 1stGen exhausts. Unfortunately the last two, MAC and Jardine, have finally stopped making any plug and plays. There have been a few that have used Harley's and I think I remember one 'Cherry Bomb' glass pack installation from a few years back?? They would both need smoozing... Check with Dano on this board. I think?? he may have removed the MAC's on his '84. He might still have them....